Accidentally didn't acclimate my polyp???

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

CBRGuy

Aquarium Advice Freak
I was floating my coral (polyp colony) in a bag as I normally do with the top open. Well after about 15 minutes of floating the bad sunk to the bottom instantly filling the bad with my water. Do you think it will be ok. I havn't seen any of the poylp opens up yet. btw I did this yesterday.

Been there myself.... LOL

Some corals will definately react adversely but most (button?) polyp corals are fairly hardy and should survive just fine. It really boils down to your water quality and the diffference in chem between your tank and the tank it came from.

Chances are it will just take longer to acclimate properly and fully open. Keep tabs on it for necrosis but other than that there not much you can do. With MH lights, I would also suggest placing it low in the tank at least for the time being. Although 2x175 on a 90 is not overly intense, all the extra acclimation TLC you can give it the better.

Cheers
Steve

Cool. Thanks for the help! I hope it makes it. It looks like a healthly piece it's already ready to frag. I thnk these thing spead like week though :D

lol think everyone has that happen !! have learned to turn a few pumps off while floating bags like that it helps heheh had 100 snails fall into the water after floating less than 5 min after the shipment arrived lucky all seamed to handle it fine !! after my tank heated to over 90 and i moved my polyps to another tank asap my polyps all made it so as long as your tank has other living healthy animals i feel ya be fine as well :) good luck

LMAO. Im so glad to see im not the only one that this happend to. I never said anything cause i don't want to look as dumb as i really am :uhoh:

or heres another dumb thing !! have ya ever just filled a jug of water from your ro unit and forget it was running and come back with water everywhere i swear if i dont set a timer i will never remember hehehe

now why dont you guy just close the bag back up and put a little air in it and seal it again and let it flote. then it will not fall to the bottom. i do this after my drip. becasue i keep the coral/fish right in the bag and put the bag in a 1/2 a milk carten. then i just can pull the bag out after the drip and let it flot.

kidkameleon3 said:
I dotn even try to acclimate and I have yet to have anything pass

man you are lucky.. Although I think most of these corals are tougher they most people think. I would be my luck that mine doen't make it.

The polyps may not be closed due to the acclimation to water conditions, but to lighting conditions. Polyps are cool cause they will self acclimate to lighting, they will close and then open slowly over a week or two till they are acclimated to the new lighting.

I thought there was some sort of rule against turning the RO off before the bucket ran over? Makes the Polyflasnophids more stable. :D

reefrunner69 said:
The polyps may not be closed due to the acclimation to water conditions, but to lighting conditions. Polyps are cool cause they will self acclimate to lighting, they will close and then open slowly over a week or two till they are acclimated to the new lighting.

You are right. I got home tonight and as soon as my actinicts came on the polyps started to open. It looks fine now... Thanks

Back
Top Bottom