Acclimating the Dwarf Puffer

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

logansmomma1228

Aquarium Advice Addict
Will it hurt him if I leave him in there for too long? I am scared to let him into the tank lol. I have read about acclimating but now that I'm doing it all that stuff went out the window.

what is your process so far?? are you dripping the water from your tank into the bag? I was told once that when the water in the bag was doubled from adding your tank water to it, it is safe to scoop him out of the bag and put him in the tank. may want to wait for someone else to jump in though...

Well, the oxygen concentration in a sealed bag will eventually go down, and even if he isn't going #2 he is constantly excreting ammonia into the water with #1. So theoretically you could do water changes in his bag and periodically open it up and allow more air in, but if you're doing water changes then you're using your own water anyways right? So why are you afraid of letting him go?

Well I am not drip acclimating him, that sounds too confusing for me. I put the bag in the water and left it there for about 15 mins. Then I took some of the water out of the bag and put some tank water in. I think I am supposed to do that every 10 mins for an hour. But now my nitrates are still pretty high, even after I did my water change. They are between 10 and 20ppm still. Not sure exactly which one because the colors are so **** close.

Just keep on adding tank water bit by bit. Once you have put in as much tank water as there was original water, and taken out the majority of the original water, the conditions are quite similar to you tank's anyways. That is the point I would release him.

Different levels of nitrate are considered "ok" by different people. My first tank I let languish without a PWC for months and my nitrates must have been in the 60-80 level. The fact is that generally the lower the nitrates the better the water quality, but fish can tolerate it unlike ammonia.

Well he's out. He's a fast little guy! Lol. He darted into the plants and he's just kind of "pacing" back and forth along the back glass. He's like a little spec in there lol. I hope he likes it! He's riding the current too lol. I hope he isn't going to be lonely.

Back
Top Bottom