active sponge filters

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ashleynicole

Aquarium Advice Addict
Whoever recommended the angelsplus.com seeded sponge filters, let me just say thanks! I ordered two, one of which I cut up and put in my aqualcear filter, the other I stuck in the tank. Then I lightly stocked my 29 gallon tank on day one with 4 cherry barbs, 2 otos, and 3 cory cats. I tested water parameters daily and had nitrates on day four with no trace of ammonia or nitrites. I've continued to slowly add fish every 2-3 days with no apparent issues. Now my 29 gallon is fully stocked with 2 Bolivian rams, 8 cherry barbs, 6 spotted cories, 4 otos, 1 bristlenose pleco, 1 Apple snail. I have not had any losses.
I just got my plants in last might from aquariumplants.com and my nitrate levels are down to 5ppm this morning and yesterday they were around 10-20 ppm. Ammonia and nitrite levels remain zero. This has been the best experience I've ever had starting a new tank. And the best part is the seeded sponge filters are only $8 each, shipping was a little pricey at about $10 but it was completely worth it for a well balanced tank and healthy fish. I just had to share and wanted to thank the person that suggested them to me. :D

Last edited:
I'm pretty sure that was me in someone else's thread, so you're welcome! It worked great for me too and good to hear it worked just as well for you. definitely worth the investment

Totally worth it. I will be honest, I don't have the patience for a fish-less cycle, I usually try to seed my new tanks somehow and do daily water changes. This has been the best outcome I have had with a cycle ever. It is just like I have an established tank instantly. I am extremely pleased with the outcome and will continue to use angels plus and recommend them to others :)

I have one too. I used it with a fishless cycle and had nitrite on day 2 after adding the filter (previously couldn't get nitrite to show up at all) and nitrates, then within 3 weeks nitrites spiked and fell and ammonia was zeroing out. Just keep an eye on the parameters. I'd do a weekly pwc even with live plants in there; pwc keep nitrates down but they also replenish nutrients the fish use up in the water. I've recommended the angelsplus filters on here too but not sure I did to you personally. I'm glad you're having a good experience and congrats on the tank!

I have one too. I used it with a fishless cycle and had nitrite on day 2 after adding the filter (previously couldn't get nitrite to show up at all) and nitrates, then within 3 weeks nitrites spiked and fell and ammonia was zeroing out. Just keep an eye on the parameters. I'd do a weekly pwc even with live plants in there; pwc keep nitrates down but they also replenish nutrients the fish use up in the water. I've recommended the angelsplus filters on here too but not sure I did to you personally. I'm glad you're having a good experience and congrats on the tank!

I've actually been doing daily pwc's, because I am paranoid and don't want any harm to come to the fish. I am going to reduce it to weekly now that I have a decent amount of nitrates showing up on tests. I got my aqueon water changer in today, which was cheaper than a python, not sure which one I like better. But with that i generally do a 30-50% weekly water change. That's what I used to do with my 55 gallon, dosing ferts and prime with the weekly water change.

Congrats. I've been recommending these filters since I tested them out middle of last year, they've worked well for me and the customer service at angels plus is top notch.
Yes I agree, I have had good customer service and fast responses to my questions.

Do you think 1 4" active filter would be enough for a 10 gallon?

oh, and did you get snails from your filters? they warn about it on their website.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes, 1 sponge filter is plenty for a 10g. I run them on everything from 5g up to 40g. I don't recall ever getting snails from their filters, but I keep snails in most of my tanks anyway so even if I did it wasn't an issue.

Wow this is an old one that got dug up, lol. I also keep snails in my tank so I wouldn't know if any came from their filters.

i'm hoping for snails...but i'm sure my goldfish will eat then before i see them

I've had my two angelsplus active filters in since friday and am waiting for results

I ordered one 4" active sponge from them after having some ammonia issues. Worked like a charm! I attached it to a power head. I was that way for 4 weeks. Sponge is rather big and it bothered me in my 25g. Today I moved it into canister filter so I don't have to look at it any more. Very happy with the purchase and customer service.

Back
Top Bottom