Active Sponge

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
And if your getting readings of nitrite your nitrate won't show up till you don't see nitrite any more.
Incorrect, sorry. Nitrogen doesn't magically jump from one form to another, it takes time to get processed, very observale time when nitrifying bacteria population still establishes. As you can see from attached all 3 can be very well observed simultaneously in a cycling tank when conditions are right.

Attachments

• 20180126_202035.jpg
    20180126_202035.jpg
    240.3 KB · Views: 42
Incorrect, sorry. Nitrogen doesn't magically jump from one form to another, it takes time to get processed, very observale time when nitrifying bacteria population still establishes. As you can see from attached all 3 can be very well observed simultaneously in a cycling tank when conditions are right.
Sorry, I was saying when it's cycled. Yes you can catch it at the right time and get all showing at once. No, not magic.

I’ve personally used the angles plus active filters. Didn’t have any issues, I just didn’t fully stock the tank all at once. I took it slow stocking.

So.... call me crazy, but it looks to me that nitrite, and nitrate aren't quite at 0. Nitrate looks like it's 5-10ppm to me. Maybe things aren't going as bad as you think. When I was cycling my first tank (like 6 years ago) I got impatient and ordered an angels plus filter to jump start my cycle. I think it made it go much faster. I used the hardware store ammonia too. I think you're doing fine. I would order one of those filters over the cycle in a bottle stuff though. Good luck!

Smallfry, if you referring to attachment few posts above I'm afraid it's not OP's measurements, that would be my cycling tank as of last Friday demonstrating all 3 nitrogens present :)

Things changed quite a bit since then, I'm indeed almost there. Why BB is not developing in OP's tank is still an open question. I would be curious to see measurements as well

this is so very strange. indeed I would expect to see at least some NO3 and NO2. if the readings are correct (not saying you can't measure) it almost like there is something in your water that inhibits bacterial growth. my old API kit was supposed to have quite a few month before expiration but I could not get a nitrate reading no matter how hard I shook that bloody leaking vial. had to order a fresh one. perhaps your closest pet store can measure your water?
I never cycled with ammonia before (not that I'm saying its incorrect), I always feed the tank flakes.
I wouldn't change water during cycle no matter the readings. not saying that's what caused this but I see little problem with 4ppm Amm (fishless obviously).
perhaps that's about time to try "cycle in a bottle' type of product? can't hurt. I would try that before ordering that sponge you linked to in OP.

--
if you ever in the Loop area or really far north I could give you some seeded filter media, but chances are your closest fish shop can do that too. you will be running in few days

So.... call me crazy, but it looks to me that nitrite, and nitrate aren't quite at 0. Nitrate looks like it's 5-10ppm to me. Maybe things aren't going as bad as you think. When I was cycling my first tank (like 6 years ago) I got impatient and ordered an angels plus filter to jump start my cycle. I think it made it go much faster. I used the hardware store ammonia too. I think you're doing fine. I would order one of those filters over the cycle in a bottle stuff though. Good luck!

Thank you.
The picture was not posted by me I didn't upload my test tubes. My nitrites and nitrates are zero after 25 days still, no reduction in ammonia either. I am going to order the Angel Plus filter never heard a bad thing about them. :)

Smallfry, if you referring to attachment few posts above I'm afraid it's not OP's measurements, that would be my cycling tank as of last Friday demonstrating all 3 nitrogens present :)

Things changed quite a bit since then, I'm indeed almost there. Why BB is not developing in OP's tank is still an open question. I would be curious to see measurements as well
Are you doing a fish in cycle with seeded media Anton?

It's a busy thread easy to get confused lol, no worries but thank you. I am glad to hear another happy customer with the bio filter! :thanks:

No fish yet. Seeded since I just don't see why start from scratch if one has access to running tank.

However even in my case it is not an insta cycle. BB is there, but in to small of a quantity. Amm and NO2 not processing fast enough just yet. Nitrosomonas is there almost full force - ammonia is down to ~.1 or so. Nitrobacter however taking it's time. NO2 reading this morning was less purple, but still somewhere between 2 and 5ppm. Fish would be really really unhappy ( dead).

What I'm curious about however is impact on plants. I read conflictinf data, some say plants are totally fine in uncycled tank, some say high nitrite will kill them. Decided to stick to it and not to change water last night. Will be solving this question pretty soon

What is your source of ammonia?
And here are my tests.

Attachments

• Test 1-30.jpg
    Test 1-30.jpg
    233.9 KB · Views: 36
84 F
I just ran the tests again double checking the book and shook the nitrate bottles till my hand hurt.
Same readings :confused:
Like Z Ive never done a cycle with just ammonia. Maybe try lowering the temp to 78 for oxygen purposes to feed bacteria. Raise the ammonia to 4 ppm. You're in trial and error mode at this point.

Here's a thought. Don't know if it will work. Maybe try turning off your filtration system. Let the water stand for a two or 3 days, maybe longer, with the heater on to accumulate bacteria? Another option might be to siphon out all the water. Add new water and get yourself some $.10 feeder guppies and add about a dozen to your tank for the cycle.

Here's a thought. Don't know if it will work. Maybe try turning off your filtration system. Let the water stand for a two or 3 days, maybe longer, with the heater on to accumulate bacteria? Another option might be to siphon out all the water. Add new water and get yourself some $.10 feeder guppies and add about a dozen to your tank for the cycle.
I've decided to drain the tank, fill it back up, order the bio sponge and get a few fish and do it the old fashioned way. I am highly suspect of the ammonia I'm using.

What is your source of ammonia?
And here are my tests.
Fish food flakes. Once a day, just as if I was feeding fish. Plus perhaps whatever dead moss leftovers decmposed on driftwood and anything left of dead snails in substrate (but thats unlikely since I washed it good)

Holy , this is some pH...

And indeed not a trace of NO2 and NO3.
Just a thought , did you wash the tank with something before filling it? Did you clean the glass from outside with something through these 3 weeks?

Fish food flakes. Once a day, just as if I was feeding fish. Plus perhaps whatever dead moss leftovers decmposed on driftwood and anything left of dead snails in substrate (but thats unlikely since I washed it good)

Holy , this is some pH...

And indeed not a trace of NO2 and NO3.
Just a thought , did you wash the tank with something before filling it? Did you clean the glass from outside with something through these 3 weeks?

Pure water!

You would not want to do that. Bacteria will grow in the presence of oxygen and a food source (higher temp, faster growth to a degree). You want to encourage BB growth in the filter.
Fishless cycles do work. Seasoned media from an existing filter/tank will greatly speed things up. Bottled solutions may yield mixed results though I’ve heard good things about Dr Tim’s Aquatics One and Only Live Nitrifying Bacteria.

I have used Dr Tim's Ammonia Solution to start my tank, and have also used Dr Tim's One and Only Beneficial Bacteria....to seed the filter media. I highly recommend both of these when doing a FISHLESS cycle. Both found on Amazon, and they are the only thing I had used. No problems at all..... highly recommended!!

Sent from my SM-G900V using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Back
Top Bottom