Added more live rock?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Dakotahshy

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I still had about 3 large pieces of dead rock in my tank so I took them out, made sure no one was living in them and exchanged them for some more live rock. I also did a pwc at the same time. Now it appears my tank is cycling again. Is this normal. My Nitrites went up to .50 then the next day (today) they went down to .25. My nitrites have always been at .00. Hopefully tomorrow they will be back down, but would this cause this by adding new live rock?

Adding uncured live rock can cause a spike in parameters. If the trites dont go down by tomorrow I would do a water change.

Ok thanks, Im not sure if I got cured or uncured rock. I didn't see anything living on it or anything but if the trites aren't down by tomorrow, I guess I will have to do another water change. I hope they are. I disturbed everything changing the rock and really don't want to go in again, but I guess I might have to.

How long was the rock out of water on its way to your tank? That can dictate how much die off you get and how hard of a cycle you might see. I transport my live rock under water so theres neve much chance for any die off. If you wrapped it in wet newspaper there may be some die off as well. All depends on the time, transport method and the rock itself.

Good luck, let us know how it goes today.

Back
Top Bottom