Adding a new filter to a old tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Mijo51380

Aquarium Advice Freak
I just added a new filter to my tank how long will it take to cycle? And when and how should you clean your bio media?

The tank has been up for 16 weeks and every time I clean my filter and turn on the filter it blows all kind crap out of it my guess is that it's coming from my bio media

How often should you clean your bio media? And how would you clean it?

How often should you clean your bio media? And how would you clean it?

Do you have a fluval? Those ribbed hoses are awful because crud builds up in the crevices and like you said when you start it up again the pressure blows it all out into the tank. Biomedia you can just swish through tank water every month or so. I'd dump the water from the filter into a bucket. Take out the trays and swish them in the bucket to remove any gunk. Place the trays back in and bring it back to the tank to prime. You don't want the biomedia to get dry or you will initiate a brand new cycle because the bacteria will dry out and die.

New Filter

I just added a new filter to my tank how long will it take to cycle? And when and how should you clean your bio media?

Hello Mi...

Everything with a surface inside the tank has beneficial bacteria living on it. Your new filter media will be colonized in just a few days. Beneficial bacteria grows very quickly.

I clean the filter media in my tanks when I change the tank water about every week. The filter becomes clogged and doesn't work as well if I don't. I also keep a lot of lava rock in my tanks, the porous rock has many places for the good bacteria to live, so if I remove some through cleaning, it reproduces to its former level in a few hours.

B

Yes I do have a fluval but the hoses I use are not ribbed.

Yes I do have a fluval but the hoses I use are not ribbed.

Ahh ok then it's the nastys in your filter. Just follow what I mentioned before. Also if you have polyfill that would help trap any debris before going into the output

And yes I have polyfil on the inlets of my filters so my RCS don't get sucked up and I also use it in my chemical baskets

Ok so I cleaned my bio media and its not coming from there it is coming from the hoses how do I stop this is there so hose I can buy that wont do this?

I don't think so, I have a rena filstar xp3 and it does the same it's just build up in the pipes unfortunately ! , I just put a net over the pipe and catch all the crap !

Back
Top Bottom