Adding a pair of clowns with a maroon

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

0o.Kelsey.o0

Aquarium Advice Addict
So we currently have one maroon clownfish in our 260 gallon tank, he/she is hosting our rose BTA. The maroon is about 2.5 inches and pretty much stays in it's area (anemone and clown are on the far left side of the tank). The clown does not venture to the right side of the tank, rarely even the middle of the tank.

Does anyone think it's possible to add a pair of clowns with the maroon? I'd love to get the pure black and white clowns, the Australian ones. Would they have to be large (same size of the maroon) for it to work? I'd like to get a small pair of the black and white ones but am afraid the maroon will kill them. Larger ones will be more expensive/harder to get I'm sure. I was thinking they would learn to stick to the right side of the tank and hopefully they wouldn't be bothered by the maroon there.

Thanks for any feedback!

Ive always heard never mix species of clowns but with that big of a tank you might be able to get away with keep in mind though maroons are one of the more agressive clowns

Ive always heard never mix species of clowns but with that big of a tank you might be able to get away with keep in mind though maroons are one of the more agressive clowns

Thanks, yes i know :(, that's why I'm so worried about it haha, maroons are beautiful but mean. Though ours has never been very mean to any fish....yet...and adding clowns might definitely change that.

I have 3 maroons in a 90 gallon one is what I would call semi agressive to the other 2 but it spends most of its time hanging out by itself I think my six line wrasse may be more agressive than it it

With a tank size like yours I would say yes but then again I would get a pair of percula first just to be safe Maroons are the most aggressive clown. I had two smaller ones but they attacked my much bigger clowns and ended up dead and I'm sure you don't want that to happen. So I would get two clowns about the same size and see how he reacts to the new tank mates.

Back
Top Bottom