Adding common pleco question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Kgray084

Aquarium Advice Newbie
So my tank has 3 cichlids in it. They range from 2.5-4inches (best guesses). I have a small ole o in my daughters tank and need/want to move him into my large tank with my cichlids. My question is the pleco is still such a baby only about 2inches maybe slightly bigger (I don’t see it often as he is active at night and hangs in his castle during the day). I want to add him while my fish are still small so they don’t pick on him but so you think that will be an issue? I don’t want the pleco hurt. I also plan on adding one more fish so I would put them in at the same time so all the focus wasn’t on him. Any suggestions or thoughts? Thanks

Pleco will be fine, they're basically armored tanks. How large is the aquarium?

55 gal. And yes I know he will get large for the tank. We have a plan for when that happens but for now he is going in the 55gal with some friends. I just don’t want them to pick on him if he is too little .

Pleco will be fine, they're basically armored tanks. How large is the aquarium?

Sorry I answered the question without hitting reply! lol but the tank is 55gal. He will get moved once he is too large but for now I just want to make sure he won’t get picked on since he is little.

I have a common pleco that has been with practically every type of fish imaginable over the last 20 years. Believe me when they get irritated they can fight back and make the pestering fish stay away. I wouldn't worry about him getting hurt too much.

Of course mine is a behemoth now and even the largest of oscars wouldn't pay him any mind lol. But even as small fish they can defend themselves and are resilient to just about anything.

Back
Top Bottom