Adding Damsels

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Grumpy

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I have a 90 gal reef tank with 1 purple dottyback, 1 yellow tank, 4 chromis, 3 percular clowns (I know should,not have three but the have been getting along great for the past 3 months) and 1 mandarin dragonet along with two hermits, 5 emerald crabs and assorted snails. My question is I am thinking of adding 2 striped damsels. Any comments would be appreciated.

Thanks

I don't see any problems with compatability there. Keep in mind that it's not recommended that you have more than one inch of fish (excluding tails) per five gallons. I don't know if you're close to that or not. I don't want to do the math. :p

imo your fine on the fish rule !! but i wouldnt go with the damsels they will just become probs when they get bigger and then hard to catch !!! first id say the chromis and dottyback would be the first to be attacked !!

I agree with scuba steve--damsels are a pain. And forget catching them if you need to do something drastic with your tank! They'll hide in a rock, and you'll never find 'em--or catch 'em!!

The mandarin and the pseudochromis are not compatable. While their may be no aggression, they will compete for food and the pseudochromis will win. This may or may not be an issue depending on whether the mandarin accepts prepared foods.

Damsels, they are the first fish to go in and the last to come out.
Ha Ha, he he

I tried to catch 2 "4 striped damsels" out of my 55 gal. NO WAY. You can't even trap them. Once you put them in...you aren't getting them out until you drain the tank.

timbo2 said:
I Thought it was 1" per gallon?

Freshwater has this rule... in Saltwater, it is 1" per 5 gal..

i'd call it a guidline more so than a rule.

but as far as the fish, i think i'd skip the damsels. i don't really find them to be all that interesting. i really don't know what to suggest in their place. i was thinking of a lawnmower, but there would probably be some issues with the tang. same would probably go for a dwarf angels.

Back
Top Bottom