adding fish/betta

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

rav

Aquarium Advice Regular
we have a 55 gallon tank with several pants, (5)blue neon tetra, (3) platys and (1) Chinese algae eater and (3) black long skirt tetra

future fish:
guppies and mollies
would like to add a Betta, could this be a problem with the above described fish?- have heard pro's and cons on this.

could someone explain ghost shrimp?

Ghost shrimp, they will clean some of the leftover food and poo if they breed they will appear with green eggs the larva woll be eaten by your fish you might get lucky and have a few hide in the gravel otherwise they are a great personality to ur tank

rav said:
we have a 55 gallon tank with several pants, (5)blue neon tetra, (3) platys and (1) Chinese algae eater and (3) black long skirt tetra

future fish:
guppies and mollies
would like to add a Betta, could this be a problem with the above described fish?- have heard pro's and cons on this.

could someone explain ghost shrimp?

A couple of things.
I'd advise upping the school of black skirts. They can get quite nippy if not in large enough schools.
I wouldn't recommended a Betta with guppies or the skirts. The Betta might think the guppies are other bettas because of the flowing tails and the skirts might nip at the bettas long fins.

Reactions: rav
Also ghost shrimp cannot finish breeding in a FW tank their eggs need brackish to hatch. Another thing that chinease algea eater will get aggressive when older and will suck the slime coat of fish. I reccommend taking him back for Siamese Algea eaters.

Jason7894561230 said:
Also ghost shrimp cannot finish breeding in a FW tank their eggs need brackish to hatch.

Not true. I have had ghost shrimp produce in a fw tank. None of the fry survived to be very big, but the eggs did hatch.

A couple of things.
I'd advise upping the school of black skirts. They can get quite nippy if not in large enough schools.
I wouldn't recommended a Betta with guppies or the skirts. The Betta might think the guppies are other bettas because of the flowing tails and the skirts might nip at the bettas long fins.

what should we up the black skirts to?
how many guppies should we start with
going to LFS next weekend

rav said:
what should we up the black skirts to?
how many guppies should we start with
going to LFS next weekend

6 but if you can get it up to 8 that would be better.
That really depends how many you want and if you want fry. You can have all males or a ratio of 1 male to 2-3 females. 3-4 a goo number to start off with. They reproduce fast!

Back
Top Bottom