adding fish to the cycling tank?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

kaz

Aquarium Advice Addict
ok 75g xp3 inline heater.
it has been fishless cycling for three weeks with a boost of ammonia, yesterday reading was ammonia 20 and nitrite 15 today I did a clean up since I have not touch the tank in three weeks and it needed it, I also did a power change of water and the readings are
ph 7.2 to 7.4
ammonia 0 to 0.25
nitrite 0
I like to transfer some of my current stock because they just been overcrowded and over growing the old tank. is this ok? every day keeping on eye on readings of course?

Do you have present Nitrates? Are you dosing the ammonia daily? What did you clean in the tank?

i didnt check nitrates
I only dose once the ammonia and that was three weeks ago
I clean the powder that was left from not rinsing the media

If you haven't been dosing the ammonia the bacteria has had nothing to live on. The tank has not cycled if it has not been dosed in three weeks.

Did you clean the actual media? How did you clean it?

I never touched the xp3 I only clean the glass tank inside
nitrate is about 10

Have you tested your tap water? If you did a 100% water change and still have that reading it makes me wonder if Nitrates are present in your tap.

yes they are, I dont remember exactly but I do remember in the past I test my tap and it did contain nitrates.

So you have Nitrates present in your tap, the ammonia is 0, the nitrite is 0, you have not dosed ammonia in 3 weeks, and you just did a 100% water change. I'd have to assume that the tank never cycled.

I dont think it did either, but I like to place fish in it would this be a problem?

What fish are you wanting to move? Can you get your hands on some Bio-Spira? That would be the best way to go, if you are wanting to move fish that can handle some ammonia and nitrite.

Given that it is a 75 gal tank, you will be perfectly fine moving several of your fish over to the new tank. For safety purposes, you could move all the fish to the 75 gal and run the filter from the 20 gal at the same time on the 75 gal tank. Move over all of the decor pieces also for added bacterial colonies. Watch the levels and do water changes as necessary. I think that will be the easiest way for you to do this.

Back
Top Bottom