Adding fish

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Metatron

Aquarium Advice Regular
When ammonia levels rise due to adding fish should I use something like Ammonia Clear or just keep up with the water changes? Also, should I be using anything other than a decholrinator with my water changes?

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

Yes. Is it a new tank? If it's new I would add API Quick Start every day for seven days. Nitrifying bacteria will eat up the ammonia and help cycle the tank. After its cycled. 0 ammonia. 0 Nitrate and low nitrites. Use it every time you add fish , do a pwc. Or change filter material. It also neutralizes chlorine and chloramine
Good luck.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

When I add a batch of fish to my well established tank I often get a small rise in ammonia until the bacteria colony has multiplied to meet the increase in waste. I add Prime to detoxify the ammonia, and any nitrite, but I don't immediately water change unless the reading reaches 0.25. I think by water changing all the time the filters don't get exposed to the working level of ammonia.
So my advice is dose with Prime and water change sensibly.

Great...thank you both..t is a cycle tank so getting rid of beneficial bacteria is exactly what I was worried about... Also...how often would you change the filter? I

Filter

Conscensus has it that you just rinse them it tank water and about once a month. And keep then till they get really worn. And use Peime or Quick Start

Back
Top Bottom