Adding minerals to soft water?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

purestar

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Our municipal water supply is very soft. The guy at the LFS said we have zero KH / carbonate (?) and that this could affect the pH stability, which may be bad for fish if it swings too much. I am also wondering if this will affect my plants (amazon sword, annubias, and java fern)? Do they need minerals in the water or is it just a danger for the fish?

So...should I be supplementing with some minerals? If so, what do you recommend?

Appreciate any advice.

I have well water and have to use a water softener. We have really soft water, I've never put in minerals and everything is fine for me. Although I don't have plants, it could be somewhat beneficial but I can't say for sure.

A kh of 0 isn't good because it means there are no buffers in the water to stabilize ph. The easiest way to correct this IMO is to get some crushed coral and add a little to your filter or put in a media bag and hang under the filter outflow. You only start out with a small amount, wait a couple days, then test to see what Kh is reading. Just keep adding small amounts until you get the reading you want.

The other option has already been mentioned. You can use Seachem Replenish to raise your kh to where you want it and then use it in your WC water each week.

A kh of 0 isn't good because it means there are no buffers in the water to stabilize ph. The easiest way to correct this IMO is to get some crushed coral and add a little to your filter or put in a media bag and hang under the filter outflow. You only start out with a small amount, wait a couple days, then test to see what Kh is reading. Just keep adding small amounts until you get the reading you want.

The other option has already been mentioned. You can use Seachem Replenish to raise your kh to where you want it and then use it in your WC water each week.

Thanks all. Just wondering if putting small rock corals in the tank would do the same trick? I have them on hand from my holiday rock collection...

I'd like to try to avoid adding another conditioner with every water change if possible. Seems like the fish aren't troubled by the soft water per se... just pH swings. As for the plants, maybe adding liquid ferts occasionally along with my root tab ferts will do the trick?!

Back
Top Bottom