adding new fish to 150g aquarium

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Wendy8184

Aquarium Advice Activist
I'm trying to restock my 150g sw tank after a crash.... have broken down, recured LR and recycled. Now water conditions are good, and i'm adding fish and corals. So far have a hippo tang and 2 blue chromis, coral banded shrimp and one tiny damsel. All seems well....want to add more fish? Should I wait or add a few? Maybe one at a time? Want to get a couple of clowns and an anemone. Yes or no?

Attachments

• 20120824_090700.jpg
    20120824_090700.jpg
    223.9 KB · Views: 109
  • 20120824_090707.jpg
    20120824_090707.jpg
    239.5 KB · Views: 88
  • 20120824_090719.jpg
    20120824_090719.jpg
    196.5 KB · Views: 108
Go slow add 1 fish every 2-3 weeks You may want to wait about 6-8 months before adding the nem

originally i had about 200lb in 150g. , but had alot of dead space. Eventually built up high nitrates and ridiculous amounts of red slime, bubble algae,and brown algae. All corals and fish died regardless of what we tried. Cleaned it all up and sold most of my live rock back to lfs. Right now i would guess about 75lbs. live rock. Bought new 50 gal. sump, ps and used old uv filter. I'm not sure what size return flow pump is... running 3 powerheads at the moment. Am afraid to put alot of lr in because of problems from before. I'm terrified of getting that algae problem again. "Fish guy not much help. Says he knows alot, but not much help. His answer for everything is dont feed so much and dont run lights so long. I feed 1/2 cube everyother day, divided between 2 tanks. Other tank is 95 gal. sw wave tank. I have been at this hobby for about 5 yrs... the last 3 battling algae.

To reduce algea I would try several things. If you already tried these then I apologize in advance lol. Sump with a refugium containing macroalgae to consume some of the nutrients algea grows on. Run a media reactor with GFO. Reduce feedings. Use RO/DI water. Hope that helps. Don't get discouraged, I'm sure you'll get it under control and enjoy that beautiful tank again soon :)

Thanks for advice and encouragement. I will try those ideas for algae control.

Powder brown or white cheek tang?

Yellow tang?

Desjardini tang?

Male blue throat trigger?

Mr. D said:
Powder brown or white cheek tang?

Yellow tang?

Desjardini tang?

Male blue throat trigger?
1 vote powderbrown i really like those and powder blues but imo it looks like need more lr the more you have the bigger the bioload and as for your algae battles a fuge and phosreactor is at the top of the list ive been using these two methods 3 years not a stitch of algae and i feed daily and run lights 12 hours a day might wanna try a lfs with more knowledge

I went and checked the aquarium today.... everything great! All fish and coral banded shrimp eating. Even the new corals i bought were open and took food. So excited!!! Starting to get my enthusiasum back. I agree maybe more lr. Will get on that immediately. I'm trying to start with fish that are relatively easy...

Wendy8184 said:
I went and checked the aquarium today.... everything great! All fish and coral banded shrimp eating. Even the new corals i bought were open and took food. So excited!!! Starting to get my enthusiasum back. I agree maybe more lr. Will get on that immediately. I'm trying to start with fish that are relatively easy...

I dont think id consider powder tangs as easy as say a yellow tang

Well i was wondering about that...had a yellow tang before the big "crash" and he did well until I added a purple tang. Similar body types. They didnt really get along well...finally the purple tang won i guess. Also had a desjardni for awhile, but i've never had a trigger. They seem so disporportionate to me. Never really was attracted to them. And i dont know if they're reef safe?

Wendy8184 said:
Well i was wondering about that...had a yellow tang before the big "crash" and he did well until I added a purple tang. Similar body types. They didnt really get along well...finally the purple tang won i guess. Also had a desjardni for awhile, but i've never had a trigger. They seem so disporportionate to me. Never really was attracted to them. And i dont know if they're reef safe?

The only one i know of reefsafe is niger trigger but it may eat inverts they always say add inverts then the trigger and it may not bother them as long as its well fed im adding one to my150 last after its stocked hope i get one that eat my shrimp :)

LOL ...i guess you don't like your shrimp? ?The coral banded i just got molted the first nite after being put in tank... does that mean it's happy? It was eating good today. I like him, he has personality! So no trigger for me

From what I've read, crabs/Shrimp molt after a water parameter change. So it's common that they molt shortly after being brought to their new home. I know my crab did the next day. :)

Wendy8184 said:
LOL ...i guess you don't like your shrimp? ?The coral banded i just got molted the first nite after being put in tank... does that mean it's happy? It was eating good today. I like him, he has personality! So no trigger for me

Lol correction hope i get one that DONT eat my shrimp :)

Back
Top Bottom