adding new LR

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

saltybob

Aquarium Advice Regular
When Adding More LR how do i do it with out killing things like my snails or crabs? I know i should just be careful but is there a special way to do this?. I have Feather dusters too that i dont want to smash. I have a 125g tank and only have 25lbs lr in there right now so i will be adding more. The tank is dooing great though!

Just be sure you get cured live rock. Being that you only have 25 lbs in there now, there should be plenty of room where you don't have to worry about crushing anything.

The LR i get comes from a great LFS called That pet place that Fish place they are huge!

I usually just wash it off and then add it in . since my tank is so big im not to worried about the water if i need to ill change the water if the paremeters are out of wack! Should i get a sump yet for a FOWLR or just hold off? ill

This is what i Have in my tank so far.

Yellow tail damsel, Blue devil damsel, Watchman goby, 6 little crabs I for get what type cheap ones though), A huge zebra snailand about 5 little feather dusters that came on a peice of lr from the store.. everything thing has been going fine but I think I am going to buy some snails tonight

As mentioned, if you add fully cured LR you should be just fine. Also, do NOT rinse it prior to adding it to the tank unless you intend to do so in heated and aged SW.

I've been to That Fish Place many times. I was at their Grand Opening about 13 or 14 yrs ago. I met Albert Theil there, back when he was THE MAN for saltwater. I have a signed copy of his book...too bad it got covered with salt creep.....but anyway.
I'm not sure they have seperate cured and uncured rock. I never really looked that good at the signs over the vats the rock is in, but everytime I looked at the rock...and they do have nice rock, it was uncured. Just take it out of the vat and smell it. Not hard to tell uncured from cured. They "may' have seperate vats marked, so watch what you get.

It smells stinky, somtimes. but like i said the last peice i got out of there within 2 days had a colony of feather dusters sprouting so i am guessing it is ok.

Yeah i shop there its got everything i need and is only bout 20mins away theres no reason to buy online.

Stinky = uncured. Be careful. If you add uncured rock you will get an ammonia spike which can kill your fish and/or inverts.

Always a good idea to keep an eye on the ammonia and nitrates when adding new, possibly uncured rock. I always watch mine when adding any rock.

Thanks for the Feedback.

Yes i do Watch the Levels after i add the rock and i try not to add to much at one time, (plus i cant afford it) Only did it once so far and it was a 10lb rock nothing went to crazy my nitrite was stil clear blue easy!

If you only add 10# at a time you should be ok. If you plan on using LR as your biological filter then you'll need to a bunch more rock. Pick up a case of the "reef rock' at TFP. It's about a dollar a pound for a 50 pound box of white caribbean reef rock. This is BASE rock, not live. You can add lots if it without compromising your biological filter, and it will become LR in a matter of months. Then you can continue to add a piece of LR here and there when money permits.

I would look to do the sump now or ASAP. A fowlr turns to a reef in a year. . .

Thanks! I love having People to talk to about this stuff. I just wish i had more time to tend to the tank. and money! ohh well! like you said knowing me in a year i'll want coral haha

As far as the sump, added water volume is always a good thing. One or two rocks at a time will be good. As Brian said keep check of your water parameters.

Back
Top Bottom