Adding plants to a tank that is cycling

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

halfcent

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi all, quick question from a newby. I am in my first week of cycling a 33 gal. tank using the fishless method. I would like to add a few plants like Java Ferns to the tank. Is it possible to do this while the tank is still cycling and also is there any way of making sure that I am not bringing any problems or disease by putting them in the aquarium. I am going to buy these plant through the classifieds so I don't know how healthy they will be. Maybe there is some kind of rinse or something that I could do before planting. All help will be very much appreciated.:)

You can add plants, it won't be a problem unless you let the ammonia get too high.

As a rinse, I use 1 part bleach (unscented) to 10 parts water, give them a good swish through, rinse well then soak them in water with dechlor in it.

You can add plants, it won't be a problem unless you let the ammonia get too high.

As a rinse, I use 1 part bleach (unscented) to 10 parts water, give them a good swish through, rinse well then soak them in water with dechlor in it.

I agree with dragon...

You do this lieu of QT?

Back
Top Bottom