Adding Sand!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

JuanArti

Aquarium Advice Activist
Is there anyway to add sand to an established tank? I'd like my sand bed to be deeper than what it is. Any help?

But do I have to buy the live sand at the store? Also how do I do it?

JuanArti said:
But do I have to buy the live sand at the store? Also how do I do it?

No. Its preferred to use washed dry sand. Live sand will carry too much die off and can cause ammonia spikes.

Simply buy dry sand wash it in a bucket with distilled or Ro/di and place it in the tank. A few cups a week will avoid any problem.

Adding live sand to a running tank is a bit more complicated and can be risky if not done correctly.

But this dry sand will eventually turn live, right? Thanks for your help I've always been wondering..

Alright thanks. They sell this sand at Home Depot ?

I have barely a 2 inch sad bed at the moment. What do you guys consider a DSB?

I want to sustain a watchman goby and idk my tank looks like it doesn't have enough sand.

JuanArti said:
I want to sustain a watchman goby and idk my tank looks like it doesn't have enough sand.

A watchman goby will be fine with 2" of sand. If looks is what your worried about then its always at your discretion to add more.

You can use a piece of pvc pipe and a funnel to get the sand in. More of it should settle when you do that as opposed to just pouring it in. I would also turn off the pumps, more flow means more sand staying suspended in the water column.

Would this sand work? Which one would be the best?

Attachments

• image-3849970179.jpg
    image-3849970179.jpg
    146.7 KB · Views: 75
  • image-2021847094.jpg
    image-2021847094.jpg
    151.3 KB · Views: 61
I know the play sand is good. What does the label on the quick-Crete bag indicate the sand is made of?

Rutrag said:
I know the play sand is good. What does the label on the quick-Crete bag indicate the sand is made of?

I ended up buying this sand. Was a little less gone. Play sand was to small grain for me.

Attachments

• image-3337316345.jpg
    image-3337316345.jpg
    165.8 KB · Views: 81
What sort of tank do you have? How big? How much sand do you want to add? Is there sand in it now, and if so how deep?
If no sand now, then I would add it all at once. It will make a big cloudy tank but it will only be once and then done. I think that is less stressful to anything in the tank. I have added sand to many tanks over the years and always just went for it.
If you have sand in there now then it may be a little different story, you don't want to kill what's in there so don't cover the old sand with more than a quarter inch or so.
I have added sand to tanks loaded with coral and never had one problem. Reefs have murky stormy days too! haha.
I never rinse the sand but I know you can cut down on the dust if you do. I put the sand in a ziploc bag drop the bag to the bottom of the tank and slowly empty it.
I have also got a piece of PVC and poured the sand down the PVC pipe to the bottom to get it in to hard to reach areas as well but this can be a pretty messy task lol (sand all over the floor unless you have a great helper).

Back
Top Bottom