Adding substrate to gravel??

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

kristilynn

Aquarium Advice Regular
I would like to start growing live plants this year. Reaching things... But can I add substrate to gravel? I kind-a like my gravel. Or if I switch to a substrate or sand will I wonder why I waited so long. Any thoughts?:flowers:

With a planted tank you don't have to gravel vac so the downside of sand being hard to vac gets negated. I say go for sand.

Honestly the best substrate for plants is sand, I have a wide variety of plants, anubias, Amazon swords, ferns, and I have sand substrate. Pair that up with root tabs and you will have the best conditions for plant growing
Here is my Amazon sword with the sand

http://i24.photobucket.com/albums/c...F-D985-418A-8527-3AD84185BAE5_zpsbp36w7u3.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

I wouldn't say the best substrate for plants is sand at all...
Sand with root tabs and proper ferts can be a good substrate..
You can just add root tabs to your existing gravel and have the same results. Sand can be difficult to vacuum and add water with.
That being said, even the expensive Eco and fluorite only keep their nutrients for 6 months to a year...
If I were you.. Just add root tabs and liquid ferts. Go to your local landscape supply and see if they have silica pebbles. I get a 40lb bag for 6$!!! Add your root tabs and ferts..

Thing is though, with sand, cleaning is actually a lot easier in my experience, all the gunk stays at the top, so you can just vacuum everything right up instead of digging through the substrate, and besides, plants anchor more with sand, so they won't be floating up with it

EcoComplete does not lose nutrients in 6-12 months. Like sand, it is inert. Root supplements will benefit both. However, EcoComplete has a high CEC (Cation Exchange Capacity). This means it can bind with nutrients from the water and make them accessible for the plants. I use it in my tanks. I only wish it had the uniform color that sand can have.

EcoComplete does not lose nutrients in 6-12 months. Like sand, it is inert. Root supplements will benefit both. However, EcoComplete has a high CEC (Cation Exchange Capacity). This means it can bind with nutrients from the water and make them accessible for the plants. I use it in my tanks. I only wish it had the uniform color that sand can have.

+1, Fresh is correct

He/she is right, that's why I picked sand, like the looks of it better

Sry, not that it loses its nutrients... But it's ability to hold nutrients. I don't think there's anything out there that is perfect... Even with Eco-complete, in time you will have to add tabs just like sand or gravel.

Actually with EC, it's ability to attract and hold nutrients should not change over time. But like sand, you still need to add root fertilizers from day 1.
In a perfect world, I would put EC as a base and sand on top. But of course, the EC will rise and/or the sand will sink ?. Bummer.
If you are just getting into this, then sand is a good choice.
For more on EC, especially pros and cons, follow this link: http://www.ukaps.org/forum/threads/has-eco-complete-changed.27609/ I've used it for a couple of years and I'm at the point where I'm ready to try the more pricy plant substrates.

Wow, lots to consider :huh: I am ready for a change. Since I can't get a larger tank right now,:nono fixing up my 72 bowfront will have to do.Thanks

anyone still out there:confused: Thoughts on mixing like flourite or the other kind in the gravel? My gravel is on the large size. Small pebble size.

The Carib sea plant mix is what I use! I love it. If you like your gravel you can do the dirt mix layer and then gravel, or keep the bottom completely gravel and fill terra cotta pots with the dirt mix and the out your plants, then you have the best of both worlds. And you can arranged the terra cotta pots how you please

If you wanna keep the gravel, I would fill with sand, it anchors the plants better

I am going to my lfs soon.:dance: They are taking my over sized pleco.(no more common plecos for me) I ll look at what they have.Seeing things in person might help.

Flourite is very messy, make sure you wash it very very good before adding.

You said a 72 bow front? If that's the tank your referring to planting. 22 inches tall is quite a bit in the planted world. Make sure you have a good light.

Caleb

Sent via TARDIS

Yes, the next future thread will be about lighting. I think if I fill in with anything it will most likely be sand... Maybe:???:

Back
Top Bottom