Adding water directly to tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Coz

Aquarium Advice Regular
I'm halfway through cycling my 50 g tank doing a fish-in cycle. Doing 20g daily water changes to keep nitrites down. I got tired of the buckets so I bought a hose to fill my tank directly from faucet.

The Prime bottle says if I add it directly to tank to treat based on entire volume of tank, thats 1 cap full for my 50g. I'm worried that overdosing like that everyday may be too much. I can add half a cap pretty easy but not sure if that works.

When using a water changing system/hose to fill your tank, its suggested you treat for the tank size not the amount your changing. Most of us, myself included, follow this dosing strategy safely and without an issue. Prime can be safely dosed up to 5x the recommended dose on a daily basis, so there are no worries about overdosing.

I'm halfway through cycling my 50 g tank doing a fish-in cycle. Doing 20g daily water changes to keep nitrites down. I got tired of the buckets so I bought a hose to fill my tank directly from faucet.

The Prime bottle says if I add it directly to tank to treat based on entire volume of tank, thats 1 cap full for my 50g. I'm worried that overdosing like that everyday may be too much. I can add half a cap pretty easy but not sure if that works.

You can do that. That's fine. Or you can do just for what your put enough just for what our adding. Either way its fine. I use a water change and add water directly to the tank and just dose the tank with one capful even though it says 1 cap is for a 100 gallons and I have a 75 gallon.

I know it says its safe and it wouldnt bother me once a week but right now its daily until my cycle completes. Not sure how long prime stays in the water. If I double dose 5 days in a row is that the same as a 10x dose?

I know it says its safe and it wouldnt bother me once a week but right now its daily until my cycle completes. Not sure how long prime stays in the water. If I double dose 5 days in a row is that the same as a 10x dose?

You should be fine. I've been doing multiple daily water changes on a quarantine tank using prime dosing each change. No problems.

Back
Top Bottom