Adding yellow electric lab

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Cornstar

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I recently became really attracted to the yellow labs and from what I am aware, they are a bit of an aggressive fish.

I would like to add them to my 55g tank but I feel some aggression. Currently I have the following fish:
2 kribensis
2 red wag platy
2 Mickey mouse platy
1 sun burst platy
5 large danios
5 tiger barbs
1 albino pleco

I am planning to remove some and would like to add some. I have many hiding places and a emperor 400 HOB.

Playing this by ear but what I heard yellow labs are aggressive but they are compatible with other cichlids. All I know for sure. But could attack platy since aggressive.

Just to add. My friend had some Africans including labs and tiger barbs. His Africans ate all the tiger barbs.

Convict2161 said:
Just to add. My friend had some Africans including labs and tiger barbs. His Africans ate all the tiger barbs.

I wouldn't mind the cichlids eating the tiger barb, they're getting old and fat. Or am i too cruel, maybe i should return the tiger barbs?

Mbuna belong in a tank only with other mbuna (and select other fish, mainly catfish). If you added 2 or 3 yellow labs to that tank, you'd have only 2 or 3 yellow labs after a short while.

Cornstar said:
I wouldn't mind the cichlids eating the tiger barb, they're getting old and fat. Or am i too cruel, maybe i should return the tiger barbs?

You should probably return them :)

Return them as post above stated. I think that's cruel to do that on purpose. And it's not healthy for cichlids either.

I guess, it would not advisable
To add them at the moment. Perhaps I will wait when I get another tank. I assume a 10g would be too small. What gallon would be suitable for them?

I tell people nothing smaller than a 40 breeder for cichlids. And that's for only a couple cichlids.

I have somewhere around 60 in my 125 only because I have a 6' footprint to work with.

Malawi Freak said:
I tell people nothing smaller than a 40 breeder for cichlids. And that's for only a couple cichlids.

I have somewhere around 60 in my 125 only because I have a 6' footprint to work with.

Would love to see a picture of your tank :)

Back
Top Bottom