Adequate lighting?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

evercl92

Aquarium Advice FINatic
My friend and I have 2 identical tanks, and we're building (close, but not identical) stands and canopies for them. The tanks are 30 gal (30" Long x 18" Wide x 12" High). I plan on using T5HO lighting on them (got a killer deal - 25% lower than cost to the LFS), 2 - 24in bulbs with reflectors, a LifeGlo and a PowerGlo.
I removed the center brace, as it would block light, and was flimsy when the tank was full anyway.

My concerns:
- 24in bulbs on a 30in tank - dead spots?
- At 24wt each, is this adequate lighting for foreground / higher-light plants?
- How much of an issue is heat with these bulbs? Keep in mind, enclosed canopy.

Hiya,

My 46G corner tank came with 2xstandard T5HO bulbs the same spec as yours. Because it is a corner tank there are some lower light spots at the back and edges but you just have to choose your plants for those positions.

I've swapped the original bulbs out for arcadia plant bulbs and don't seem to have much of an issue with stuff no having enough light.

Recently picked up the clip on Arcadia reflectors and it had a real effect, red plants turning red lower down the water column etc.

For heat id say they are great, but the only real comparison i have is to the T8 bulb on my 10G, but i definately have far more issues with the heat from the bulb on that tank then I do on my 46G.

I'd say you will be fine. Probably easily hitting the equivalant of high type plant growth using T8 bulbs.

Best Regards,

John

edit - Just re reading - are you using 2x24w bulbs on each tank or one on each?

With the gain in efficiency due to being both T5 and HO, there's a possibility that you'll be able to grow those more light demanding plants. I'd give a few a try and see how they do for you.

Back
Top Bottom