ADF How much food?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ownedbycats

Aquarium Advice Activist
I just bought two ADFs. I researched what to feed them, but I just realized that I don't know how much. I'm currently hand feeding them frozen bloodworms so my betta won't get all the food, and so I know for sure they each got at least two. How many should they be getting per day? Are there any alternative foods besides HBH frog and tadpole bites, which is apparently completely unavailable? I'd like to vary their diet because I'm not sure feeding them just one thing will give them everything they need.

Hello, I would suggest that you carry on as you are and watch for changes in weight over time. If they start to look chubby or skeletal, then moderate what you're giving them accordingly. They should have a bit of a belly, and their heads shouldn't be larger than their middles. This page has a picture of an under fed ADF. :(

FAQs About African Dwarf Frogs, Foods/Feeding/Nutrition

In my experience it's difficult to feed ADF's too much when there are fish around, but maybe my ADF's are just a bit slow.

I'm in the UK and I bought these frog pellets:

Pollywog

My frogs were much happier once I started with these - the dried bloodworms the fish shop suggested didn't seem to be giving them enough and they were getting quite thin, and the frozen worms were a bit of a hassle. I found multipacks of different frozen things, so that's an option to vary diet. I've heard it said that oil in the sinking pellets isn't great for water quality, so make sure you're keeping up with your water changes.

That said, I have to be careful my frogs actually get the food that's intended for them. I've resorted to using a large rolled up tube of acetate to (very carefully) trap my smaller ADF on a pice of bathroom tile in the corner of the tank to make sure he has time to get the food before the fish move in. I also have to split the pellets in two because they're a bit big for his tiny mouth. He's a bit of a rubbish frog when it comes to finding and eating the food. Usually he finds a pellet's worth and the fish get the rest.

I hope that's helpful, good luck!

Thanks, that was helpful. Knowing how my frogs SHOULDN'T look, I'll know what to watch for. I think the smaller one may be underfed after looking at that, although not quite as badly (there were a lot of frogs in the tank, I wouldn't be surprised if the smaller ones got less food).
There was also info on alternative foods. I'll try looking for your suggestions as well.
I'm currently hand feeding the frogs using tweezers. The betta has been trained to go to a specific corner for his food, so I feed the frogs first and while they clean up their food, I feed him one worm piece at a time keeping him busy til the frogs are done.

Haha, I hand fed my frogs for a long time using a long pipette while trying to distract the fish and got laughed at by my house mates for it. The things we do for our pets...

Back
Top Bottom