ADF injury and possible infection

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I have a female ADF that looks like she took a nose dive into the gravel and got a sharp rock or something. It started out with a red nostril but now its a full blown infection I believe. I started treating with melafix on tuesday but now she hasnt eaten for three days but she still seems to be a healthy weight (she was quite the piggy before this happened) :( im thinking of adding pimafix as well because its gotten worse and has taken up the whole front of her nose

http://i1023.photobucket.com/albums/af357/Mconroy17/Snapbucket/8CFF48E3-orig.jpg

http://i1023.photobucket.com/albums/af357/Mconroy17/Snapbucket/35C0E85A-orig.jpg

Ok so it isn't any better this morning :( can I do anything else for her? Like a salt bath or something?? And if so does anyone know the salt to water ratio for frogs :) I think she ate a little bit this morning and my male found the food right away but I did put the carbon back in the filter to see if it would help their appetite.

http://i1023.photobucket.com/albums/af357/Mconroy17/Snapbucket/026BA57F-orig.jpg

I think it looks better personally! Salt baths tend to do the opposite in these cases. Keep up with the treatment, especially If you saw her eat. I really do think she looks better though.

Well she tried to eat yesterday but spits it back out probably because her nose hurts but she must be eating something because she still looks a healthy weight. The assassin snail is getting quite the feast from the leftover bloodworms (I clean out as much as I can but two or three worms get lost in the rocks). She isn't letting me take a picture this morning so I may have to wait till later. I really wish I could put something on it, it doesn't seem to be getting worse or better right now but it breaks my heart seeing her try to eat

I don't know if I would use salt, ADF's are fairly sensitive critters and salt may irritate their skin. I am not very knowledgable on medicating them either because I haven't ever had to. However, I will send siva your way, she will probably know the best treatment.

Aw poor thing! Are you treating it with anything? I don't know much about them yet but I've read their sores/lesions can be caused by or turn into bacterial infections very easily. Good luck with her.

"The African dwarf frog is most susceptible to bacterial infection. The symptoms may include cloudy eyes. Any open sores or reddening of the skin may also indicate infection. Use of appropriate anti-bacterial medicine and a water change are usually enough to take care of this problem. Another common infection in the African dwarf frog is caused by fungus. Inflammation of the skin that makes it look red and sore, or any other abnormal coloring of the skin is something to watch out for. Such a frog should be quarantined immediately. Malachite green-based medication is usually effective in this situation" (source: African Dwarf Frog)

Ya I described it all in the other posts but I only knew of melafix and another person suggested salt so that's it for treatment right now. She is isolated away from the male, she only has an assassin snail for company and he doesn't bother her. I will have to look up "malachite green-based medicine" but I know is hard to get medicine for fish in Canada :( I only found one pet store that sells some medicine from the API line but nothing seemed safe for frogs and the vets had nothing. Thanks I'll look :)

Hi there :) Sorry about your girlie there, looks to me like she may have been attacked. What else is in the tank with the frogs?

Did it just look like this all of the sudden, or did it start smaller and progressively get worse?

Compare her legs to the legs of any other ADF's you have...are they much redder?

I would isolate the frog and keep the water absolutely prestine. Dose with 1 TBSP salt per 5 gals. Make sure you are always letting salt completely disolve in the water before adding it to the tank. Feed only thawed frozen foods..no pellets, and remove anything uneaten within an hour.

To clarify, are you saying you called vets asking about antibiotics for amphibians and they said they had nothing to offer?

Hi it's just the frogs and the one assassin snail. I have them seperated right now. Her legs seem fine and the only thing i noticed was my male began getting red lumps under his front arms (they used to be white) so i am watching him as well. At first it was just her nostril was a little red and then it progressed into this infection, my first posts have all the pictures of the progression. They did just breed about a month ago and produced some beautiful baby tadpoles so I am thinking stress may have played a part. She only gets frozen bloodworms, frozen miosis, and frozen krill but has had a very hard time eating from the swelling on her nose.

Yes the vets said they have nothing for aquatic amphibians. I have had the aquarium salt as you say there and melafix but it hasn't gotten better and I'm worried her now. I'm sorry I don't know what pwcs are

Oh lol, well I have been doing a 50% every seven days because that's what the melafix bottle says.

It is hard to treat infections in the frogs without perscription antibiotics. I would recommend a combining Pimafix with the Melafix.

Ok well im bringing her home on Monday and puttin her back in with male and treating them together because I think he is suffering from a bacterial infection as well since his legs are swelling up and turning red. I will go to petsmart and buy the tetracycline they have there and give that a go. At least then they may have a chance. I feel terrible as I must have neglected something for them to both be affected or might have accidentally thrown the tank into a cycle without realizing. Thanks for all the info guys and I will go hit the books for some more frog research ;)

Oh if you can get tetracycline you should be set. That's what I was thinking a vet would give you. I wouldn't mix it with the other treatments though, I'd water change the salt and mela out and then start the tetracycline. Let us now how they do. Good luck! :)

Back
Top Bottom