ADF or ACF?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

limnologist

Aquarium Advice Freak
Which is better? the african clawed frog, or the african dwarf frog??

They are both good, but I personally think african dwarf frogs are much better. African dwarf frogs prefer to be in groups, but don't have to. They are extremely peaceful and you can keep about 5 in a 10 gal. They can also be kept with other fish that will not attack them.

African clawed frogs, are larger, a little harder, need bigger tanks, and are extremely aggressive! They will kill other fish and frogs. They can still be great pets, but only as them.

Sent from my iPod touch using Aquarium Advice

but wouldnt the ACF be better pet-wise, as in its larger, eats more, is more interactive, and is easier to find in a tank haha.

Ive kept both, and being as I enjoy keeping pets like large cichlids, axolotls and frogs, I like the ACF more. I really was hoping to start a heated argument :p

Ill go with the acf because they are bigger and more active.they. are very entertaning to watch they seem to have a peronality plus i love watching them stalk there fish to watch there hands moving and gumming the fish

Sent from my LGLS740 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

personally, i love my ADFs. they're small, they don't fight with my betta, and they're actually really fun to watch. one of mine has a bubble fetish - he sprawls on the hood of the filter so the bubbles float up and tickle his belly!

Adfs can be extremely active when in a tank where they feel no threats, i.e. anything bigger than them, and when in a group. I have 5 in my tank with just cherry shrimp. They are quite active and funny. They attempt to stalk the too fast shrimp. Its funny.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

ACF personally seeing as I have had them for over 7 years now. I have 4 of them in the same tank currently and they do well together. So long as the smallest one is over half the size of the biggest one, you should not have a problem with cannibalism. They are not aggressive, but they are glutinous, and will eat anything they can fit into their mouth.
They are also illegal/restricted in many states, so you may want to check that out before deciding on them.
Another thing to consider is their tank requirements for optimum quality of life for your frogs (or rather pipidae if we are talking about ACF). For ADF it is best that you have at least 5 gallons per frog, based on their swimming requirements and their waste production. ACF require minimum 10 gallons per frog.
Also think about filtration. ADF are alright with any manner of filtration, so long as they do not get sucked in. The ACF will not be sucked in the filter, but they are extremely sensitive to vibrations in the water and will need to have a filter that creates minimum water disturbances.
ADF will typically float around and occasionally chase potential food, they are fun to watch wen doing this. When they are full grown, they only need to eat every other day.
ACF can be taught to eat from your hand, and are quite funny when they are truing to stuff food into their mouths (plus you can feed them night-crawlers if properly prepared). When full grown they only need to eat every three days.
All in all I really think it is up to what you want to put into your pet, not necessarily what you get out of it. Both ADF and ACF are great pets, and an individual's opinion should not sway you to or from on or the other. I think you need to ask yourself these questions.
1) Do I want other fish with my frogs? (ADF depending on the fish)
2) Do I want to interact with my frogs? (ADF and ACF)
2.1) What type of interaction? (results vary)
3) How much room do I have for a tank? (A little: ADF A lot: ADF ACF)
4) Do I want one that calls? (Quiet call: ADF Loud call: ACF once a month)

Adf. Love them. I have 7 in tank with platys and corys. They are very sociable and active. 1 in particular comes to the glass every morning when my daughter goes over. Funny watching them trying to squeeze into tiny hiding spaces too!

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Acf!

Sent from my SM-N910V using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Attachments

• 1438230169430.jpg
    1438230169430.jpg
    127.7 KB · Views: 126
I believe that if you don't think that money is a problem ACF is good but, if you have a smaller budget than ADF is better.

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1439529342.799787.jpg I have 6 African dwarf frogs and 3 platys in a ten gallon with live plants. I had 5 of them in there since January. And just got given another 1. The 3 platys have been I. There for a week but I'm giving them away tomorrow.

An ADF requires 5+ gallons for one and then 1 per gallon after that. An ACF requires 10 gallons for one and 20 gallons for three and a lot more food.:cool:

Back
Top Bottom