Advice - Molly harassing Dwarf Gourami

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

elidd

Aquarium Advice Newbie
First post, sorry if this is in the wrong forum. I’m pretty new to the hobby, though I learned a bit through friends who kept fish. I recently set up a planted tank, 29 gallons. I gave it a week to begin cycling, and then introduced three fish to speed it up a bit – I have a lot of time to devote to neccesary water changes and adjustments and to take daily measurements. The fish are a Platy, a Molly, and a Dwarf Gourami, and from what I can tell they are all male (though I’m not positive on the Molly).

The issue I’m having is the Molly seems to harass the Gourami. It appears to be nipping the Gourami, sometimes on the fins but mostly on the side of its body (not side fins or gills). Having never seen this behavior, I’m struggling to decide if its too much. I’m not sure if the Molly is really nipping the Gourami – its mouth is open but there’s not any violent movements or latching on, it looks exactly like what the Molly does with its mouth when it swims on the side of the glass. I also can’t see any damage on the Gourami, and I took pictures at the start to be sure. When this happens, the Gourami just swims away and hides, doesn’t really ty to fight back at all. The Molly will continue to chase for a bit, the whole things usually over in 15 seconds. Probably happens 3-6 times an hour during the day, I’ve never seen it happen once the Gourami settles down for the night. The Gourami spends some of its time hiding, but usually swims around the tank and doesn’t seem lethargic or injured. I’ve had them for 4 days.

Also might be worth noting, the Molly seems to have a lot of energy, more than usual from what I’ve seen of friends, pet stores, and videos. It is always on the move – darting back and forth, doing laps around the heater, splashing water up with its back side – and it doesn’t do anything to the Platy, but has no concept of personal space. It swims right on top of him.

What do you guys think? I don’t want the Gourami getting too stressed, and I also want to introduce other fish down the road and don’t want this to be a regular thing with the Molly. Is any nipping/chasing too much, or is there a certain level? If it’s the later, I’d really appreciate if anyone has any links to videos of nipping that’s gone too far. I tried to find some but didn't have much luck. I’d love to both fish, but am not opposed to returning one if that creates a healthier environment. Appreciate the input!

First, I think all fish are much happier in groups of the same species. It's certainly true for a number of species that they are less aggressive in groups of 6 or more than by themselves. I suggest you get several mollies, a couple of platies, and two gouramis.

Thanks for the advice! Longer-term I did want to add more Platies and another Gourami, was planning on the Molly being the only one but if it'd help I would definitely add more. Since the tank is so new though, and these guys were just added a few days ago, do I need to give it time before adding more? Or can I offset with more frequent water changes?

I am fairly new to the aquarium hobby myself so I’d hate to tell you to go get more fish right now only to have it be too much for a new tank to handle, but with that said-

I’d either return the Molly or add at least 3-4 female Mollies. Maybe not right now, but as soon as your tank can handle it. The male will most likely be too distracted trying to mate with the females and ease up on your gourami. They definitely do prefer being with more of their own.

They make decent community fish according to some, but others find them too aggressive and recommend keeping them a species only tank. I’m assuming the conflicting info probably has a lot to do with both the individual personality of each fish and proper stocking.

If I’m wrong someone feel free to correct me, this is just what I’ve observed from research and having my own Mollies in a 29g for a bit now. They are definitely very active fish, I never see them sitting still! Fun fish to watch. :)

I personally feel you can add a few more fish to your 29 gallon. Definitely more mollies to keep the male busy, females would be best.
Why do you feel your tank can not handle more fish?

Back
Top Bottom