Advice needed re: stocking tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mtabh

Aquarium Advice Newbie
DH and I have tossed around a million ideas in the last few days about saltwater, freshwater, size of tank, types of fish, ultimate goal for the look of the tank. Here is what we have settled on (for now), not in a hurry to buy or do all at once. Patience is a virtue.

We want a 14g biocube and have sourced a good price on one. We prefer the look of the biocube but don't want the bigger size. It's adorable and seems manageable. I don't really care for rectangular tanks, I know, I'm weird. We like the modern look of the biocube.

Our intent is to make it pretty, but more importantly we want it to be a healthy environment for our fish friends :fish2: so are definitely willing to make changes to our ideas thus far. That's why I'm here, I want someone to look at the ideas we have and make suggestions for change if needed.

I used a website to give an idea of what fish I could put together as tank mates. We want a larger school of tiny fish, a group of three small fish and a single medium sized fish. My initial thoughts are ten neon tetras, three scarlet badis and one dwarf gourami. The website I used said that puts us at an 86% stocking level, which I think is good as we don't want to overcrowd these little guys. I wonder though, if they are all middle dwellers (and I believe they are) will it be too crowded in their preferred swimming area?

Also, as far as the "landscaping" I'd like to do a course sand, some big pebbles and a few plants (faux, I think). I am attaching an image of my landscape inspiration. Is this a suitable environment for the above mentioned fish?

others-miraculous-layout-of-aquascape-aquarium-design-fine-aquascape-aquarium-designs-972x402.jpg

Please forgive me, I'm a total newb, other than a betta we had for a few years before having children. We've always wanted to get into fish and now we are deciding to take the plunge, starting small.

Any suggestions are greatly appreciated. Please ignore my want for prettiness and give me a dose of fish reality. :thanks:

Last edited:
The gourami will spend most of its time up top. Personally in that size tank I'd recommend a honey gourami as they stay a bit smaller and are known for being extremely peaceful. The scarlet badis will spend a lot of time near the bottom, but just remember they can be difficult to feed particularly with 10 hungry tetras swimming around them. They also tend to only take live or frozen food, often requiring them to be spot fed. Have you looked into any nanofish? Celestial pearl danios, ember tetras, dwarf emerald rasboras, and chili rasboras are a few examples of nano fish that would be great in that kinda tank.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

The gourami will spend most of its time up top. Personally in that size tank I'd recommend a honey gourami as they stay a bit smaller and are known for being extremely peaceful. The scarlet badis will spend a lot of time near the bottom, but just remember they can be difficult to feed particularly with 10 hungry tetras swimming around them. They also tend to only take live or frozen food, often requiring them to be spot fed. Have you looked into any nanofish? Celestial pearl danios, ember tetras, dwarf emerald rasboras, and chili rasboras are a few examples of nano fish that would be great in that kinda tank.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Is the honey gourami smaller than a dwarf gourami? Would you recommend one of the fish you mentioned in place of one i mentioned or in addition to?

I did. Is that a reliable website? Why do neon tetras die easily? Is this something I can avoid if I do enough research ahead of time or is it fairly inevitable?

It's a very useful website, as long as you do what you are doing now, and research the fish compatibility elsewhere as well. They alert you for most problems, but ignore others, which might result in combining fish with incompatible temperaments, for example.

I've had very little experience with neon tetras myself, but I've seen many people mention how tricky it is to keep them alive. I guess they are just sensitive little guys! Don't be put off keeping them just for that reason, they are lovely fish, but I just wanted you to be aware that they seem to die easily.

It's a very useful website, as long as you do what you are doing now, and research the fish compatibility elsewhere as well. They alert you for most problems, but ignore others, which might result in combining fish with incompatible temperaments, for example.

I've had very little experience with neon tetras myself, but I've seen many people mention how tricky it is to keep them alive. I guess they are just sensitive little guys! Don't be put off keeping them just for that reason, they are lovely fish, but I just wanted you to be aware that they seem to die easily.

That's extremely helpful information. We plan to start the tank in November so it can be cycled and stocked on Christmas Morning. Santa is bringing this gift to our four year old daughter. She'd be pretty devastated if a fish died, she is so sensitive to animals. I may still chose them but will definitely do some research about them ahead of time. Thank you!

I did a fish in cycle using tetra safe start with 6 neon tetras in my 10 gal tank. I did not loose any fish and my neons are growing and healthy three months later. I bought them from pet supermarket which is I think a southern chain store like petco or petsmart. I would get the neons when you're ready,. Your daughter will love their colors and activity level. Alison:):fish2:

Back
Top Bottom