Advice on certain fish in my tank please?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Bish67

Aquarium Advice Activist
Hi,
New to this game and doing it by the book as in cycling, PWC and testing water ect.
My tank is a 20 gallon freshwater and is fully cycled after been set up for a month now. I currently have 3 black neons and 3 plattys and I am about to add 3 guppies and 2 dwarf gouramis.
My question is this....
Would I be able, at a later date to have a betta and angel fish??
I have read allsorts of different stuff until my mind goes numb...hence why I come on here to you guys.
Any advice would be appreciated.
:thanks:

I have gouramis and a Betta and an angelfish all living together happily but I will say all fish have their own personalities sometimes it works sometimes it doesn't I think it has a lot to do with if they are male/female but there's no way to actually tell usually so it's kinda a try and see how it goes and be prepared to bring fish back or house them elsewhere if needed because you will run into issues more times then not with a community tank

ok thanks...im learning its a bit hit n miss and you have just confirmed that.
I am thinking of having a smaller tank in the same room so if I do have problems i have a back up plan.
Appreciate your reply

A few concerns. A 20g tank isn't bing enough for an angel fish. Having two dwarf gouramis (especially both males) can end up with one being bullied to death. Bettas and gouramis are very hit and miss. Some get on great, others fight and chase. The black neons you have will do much better with a larger school of 6 or more.

ok..i have questions...if neons are better in 6s why they sold in 3s?A 20 gallon tank is not big enough for an angel fish?how big should the tank be??? confused....as this goes against advice i been given. Would appreciate clarity please?

For what it's worth I agree with everything Mumma.of.two stated. Adult angels can reach at least 6" tall, maybe more depending on species. A 20 gal high is about 16", minus room for substrate, decor and other fish. This doesn't leave much more room for an adult angel to move around in comfortably. I'm not sure why schooling fish are sold in threes; perhaps it's just the store you're going to. Neons are schooling fish and are more comfortable with more of their own kind, at least 6. Two gouramis is generally a bad idea as well. I would add the 3 guppies, 3 more neons and one dwarf gourami; you'd be fully stocked then (until the guppies and platys breed).

appreciate the advice Thankyou.....a bit confused as never seen angel fish that big here in the UK. The schooling fish are also sold here in 3s too...so...now very confused....

In my opinion, they are sold in threes because of the old advice that if you only add three new fish at a time, your filter will be ok. Same advice says wait two weeks before adding more.
However, if you do fish less cycling, you can add your entire stock list at once.
This is an example of knowledge being power. :)
The real test is are your toxin levels ok, not if you have waited two weeks.

Bish67 said:
ok..i have questions...if neons are better in 6s why they sold in 3s?A 20 gallon tank is not big enough for an angel fish?how big should the tank be??? confused....as this goes against advice i been given. Would appreciate clarity please?

Yeah it sucks man but 20 gallons prob really is kinda small angels do get pretty big I've seen them get really really big before. If u want a nice tank with Angels and others I would suggest 55 gal tanks I have two of them and they are a really nice size I like them a lot.

Back
Top Bottom