Advice on cleaninv terrapin tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Fishies86

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Hi, I decided to advertise for cleaning fish tanks. I've done one fish tank already, but I've just been offered another job cleaning a terrapin tank. I don't know anything about terrapins, except that they can bite. Is there any advice on how to clean out a terrapin tank? Is it the same as doing a fish tank? What do I do with the terrapins while I'm cleaning their tank, or will they b ok to leave in there while in cleaning them?

I'm a little but out if my comfort zone with this, so any advice is appreciated :/ thanks guys!

Hi, I decided to advertise for cleaning fish tanks. I've done one fish tank already, but I've just been offered another job cleaning a terrapin tank. I don't know anything about terrapins, except that they can bite. Is there any advice on how to clean out a terrapin tank? Is it the same as doing a fish tank? What do I do with the terrapins while I'm cleaning their tank, or will they b ok to leave in there while in cleaning them?

I'm a little but out if my comfort zone with this, so any advice is appreciated :/ thanks guys!

Hey Fishies86,

Well I'm not specificly knowledgable on Terrapin, but I've owned turtles in the past I know that they are not afraid of you like fish are, so they will come up to you. When we cleaned our tanks, we put the turtles in a pale with a couple inches of water, and make sure it's tall enough so they can't climb out.

And when you grab turtles like Terrapin, try to stay on the back half of their shell, because if they do try to snip, they can stretch half way back of their shell length.

Ben

Oo, can they?! I'm glad you told me that, it wouldn't have occurred to me that they can reach that far back! Terrapin tanks are part aquatic part terrestrial aren't they?

Oo, can they?! I'm glad you told me that, it wouldn't have occurred to me that they can reach that far back! Terrapin tanks are part aquatic part terrestrial aren't they?

Yeah they can stretch their necks fairly far. And it should be part and part, if not I'd suggest them to set it up like that, they need some dry land.

Ben

Back
Top Bottom