Advice on cory eggs

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ArtistGardener

Aquarium Advice Freak
I had four new albino corys in quarantine for four weeks and just added them to my planted 55 gallon community tank yesterday afternoon. This morning, there are eggs all over the upright leaves of a cryptocoryne and I witnessed one of them carrying eggs between her pelvic fins. I know it happens pretty regularly with corydoras, but this is a first for me and I am very excited about it!

I want to try and raise them so I set up a 1 gallon bucket with tank water, tiny heater, air stone, and a bit of filter media. I removed an entire leaf that was loaded with eggs and hung it from the side of the bucket with a clothes pin. Will this work? I don't have a tank available so this is the best I can do. If they hatch and grow a bit, I can put them in with the platy fry I have. Any advice on caring for these if they do hatch? Should I do something else?

Hello Art...

The rearing tank chemistry has to be identical to the tank that had the eggs. The eggs, if fertilized should hatch soon.

B

Thanks, BBradbury. I took the water from the main tank so chemistry is exact, but temp now after several hours is just a degree or two cooler with the tiny heater I am using (one of those flat rectangular Top Fin models without a thermostat). Is that OK? Do I need to do water changes before they hatch if I have an airstone and small piece of seeded media in there?

Corydoras Eggs

I had four new albino corys in quarantine for four weeks and just added them to my planted 55 gallon community tank yesterday afternoon. This morning, there are eggs all over the upright leaves of a cryptocoryne and I witnessed one of them carrying eggs between her pelvic fins. I know it happens pretty regularly with corydoras, but this is a first for me and I am very excited about it!

I want to try and raise them so I set up a 1 gallon bucket with tank water, tiny heater, air stone, and a bit of filter media. I removed an entire leaf that was loaded with eggs and hung it from the side of the bucket with a clothes pin. Will this work? I don't have a tank available so this is the best I can do. If they hatch and grow a bit, I can put them in with the platy fry I have. Any advice on caring for these if they do hatch? Should I do something else?

Hello Art...

Check the color of the eggs. The white ones aren't fertile. The amber colored ones are. The holding tank water chemistry must be very close to the tank's chemistry where the eggs were laid or the chances of any eggs hatching is remote.

I keep a lot of different Corys and have had many eggs laid. The problem for my tanks is I keep large numbers of Fancy Guppies and they make lunch of the eggs even before they're fertilized.

Good luck.

B

They hatched this morning and are in no danger of being eaten as they are in their own bucket. Feeding them will be my biggest issue now. I have Hikari first bites, but nothing else. I am going to throw some plants in there from the main tank in hopes there are microscopic critters on them.

Congrats on your fry.

I currently have 200+ Peppered Cory fry born March 9th.

I first fed them powered flake food which I made by placing flake food in a baggie and using a rolling pin to make it powder.

I have 3 small gobys in the tank with them, when I fed my gobys blood worms, tubiflex worms and brine shrimp, the fry also ate the bloom worms, tubiflex worms and brine
shrimp. I use a sharp knife to scrape off small bits of the frozen foods.

Since I have so many corys, I am also dropping in algae wafers and brine shrimp pellets.

I was caught off guard with so many eggs hatching, other batches I had were usually 20-30 eggs that hatched.

I have some babies that are now about 1/2 inch long and they are only 2 weeks old....I am assuming it is because they are eating adult foods that is tiny enough for them to eat.

Back
Top Bottom