Advice on Freeze-Dried Food?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

parl0017

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Anyone have input on freeze-dried food? I feed my fish a variety of things including frozen brine shrimp and bloodworms, but I was wondering about Hikari's Freeze-Dried Tubifex worms and shrimp. I don't have a problem feeding frozen, but it would be nice to find something that doesn't need to be thawed and rinsed. However, I feel like I read somewhere that freeze-dried foods can cause digestive issues.

I tried the blood worms and had a few fish die soon after offering the new food. It may have had nothing to do with it, but I tossed it and then no more casualties.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

I've tried Hikari's FD Tubifex, Baby Brine Shrimp, and Blood Worms. Fish enjoyed all three; can't remember if there was a preference. No issues. Very convenient.
Some will advise presoaking FD foods prior to feeding.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

My betta turns up his nose at anything but bloodworms and I use freeze-dried... so far no issues, but it is early yet.... I am weaning him off the worms on to a more balanced diet, but will still give the worms as a treat.

Anyone have input on freeze-dried food? I feed my fish a variety of things including frozen brine shrimp and bloodworms, but I was wondering about Hikari's Freeze-Dried Tubifex worms and shrimp. I don't have a problem feeding frozen, but it would be nice to find something that doesn't need to be thawed and rinsed. However, I feel like I read somewhere that freeze-dried foods can cause digestive issues.
I've used the Tubifex worms before and had mixed results. My gouramis eat them, occasionally my Albino Tiger Oscar eats them and if I hand-feed them to him my BGK will eat them too.

Haven't had a lot of luck with baby brine shrimp. My Oscars frequently chew on them and then spit them out.

I use Hikari freeze dried brine shrimp and blood worms, no problems what so ever. I only use them for a snack for my Betta.

Sent from my SM-N900T using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Back
Top Bottom