Advice on Ich

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

cobriaclord

Aquarium Advice Regular
Hi,

On Saturday, I got an old filter media from my sister to seed bacteria in my tank. It is currently cycled completely.
Today, my sister's fish are showing signs of ich.

I have two bronze cory cats (I thought they were emerald but I was wrong).

When I first started up the tank, I dosed with aquarium salt lightly. The salt has not bother the fish in any way.

I wam wondering what I should do with the filter I have now. None of my fish are sick but I don't want them to get sick.

Should I toss the filters and risk needing to cycle more? Should I add something to prevent an ich outbreak? Should I just do nothing and hope for the best?

Thank you for your help.

I would leave the filter and just wait it out and if ich shows up in your tank treat it with heat.
To treat:
Turn heat up slowly to 86-88F,
Increase aeration,
Increase gravel vacs and PWC,
Leave the temp up for at least a week after last spot is seen,
Turn temp down slowly.

They will be fine at that temperature for a few weeks during treatment. It's important to remember that the warmer the water the less oxygen it contains so water agitation/aeration is important.

They will be fine at that temperature for a few weeks during treatment. It's important to remember that the warmer the water the less oxygen it contains so water agitation/aeration is important.

Thanks, i have a good aerator so that will work. They are chilling at the bottom now, not sure if they are sick... guess this also means i have to hold off on getting new fish....

My fish are still very healthy. I put the infected filter in on Saturday. At what point am I in the clear?

Back
Top Bottom