Advice on pregnant platy

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

felku

Aquarium Advice Activist
Today my beautiful wife decide to buy 2 fishes without asking me(well the aquarium is from my daughter but I'm the one that do the maintenance) . She bought 2 platys and when I notice one of them was pregnant. My daughter is 6 years old so she is so excited about the pregnancy. My problem is my aquarium is only 10 gallons, it has even completely cycled.

I have another 10 gallon empty that my wife bought for a hamster but she never bought it. I was thinking in built another 10 gallon for that platy and their fry(if they survived). Since I'm a beginner I don't know if this is the correct decision. And if it is I wonder how I will make a new tank cycle in time since my current one hasn't finished yet.

Please any advice will be very appreciated.

The 10 gallon is great for breeding all breed of fish from angelfish to Platy. I recommend a sponge filter running off a air pump or a sponge filter with a small put power full pump head that pump around 50-70 gallons an hour. With thick Java or Christmas moss on the bottom of the tank for a better batch of Platy. That's what I use went I breed cichlids to Platys,guppies and mollies. I post a picture of my tank later to show you what I am talking about.best of luck with your batch of fry.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

The 10 gallon is great for breeding all breed of fish from angelfish to Platy. I recommend a sponge filter running off a air pump or a sponge filter with a small put power full pump head that pump around 50-70 gallons an hour. With thick Java or Christmas moss on the bottom of the tank for a better batch of Platy. That's what I use went I breed cichlids to Platys,guppies and mollies. I post a picture of my tank later to show you what I am talking about.best of luck with your batch of fry.

Thanks for the advice, I really appreciate. There is so much information out there is over whelming. I don't think I won't be able to built the tank before she delivers the frys but I will still built the tank.

If you get the jbl Aqua silicone it cures in less then four days but make sure that you wear a mask and wash out the tank a couple of times with hot to Luke warm water then it set.

Back
Top Bottom