Advice on setting up a classroom tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Cant wait to see this tank set up. I wish my teacher set up a tank but no. you must be a really cool teacher!

Same here! I'm a high school senior and we don't have any classes that sound as cool as yours! We have a greenhouse with a few fw fish and other animals, but no actual classes with live animals. Good luck with your class, it sounds fun!

Just a quick update: Came in this morning and the Percula Clownfish seems to have settled in nicely. Also, the Green Chromis that my husband and I spent an hour tearing the tank apart looking for on Saturday, he miraculously reapered during first period, go figure... So, other than the domino who was bullied, everyone seems to be doing well.

I think it's great that you are heading up such a huge project - 28 tanks! I'm currently trying to save a tank at a local elementary school, but their budget is pretty limited so it would become almost a charity case. You must be a biology teacher I'm guessing?

A couple of things you might want to consider:

1) Search the web for a local reef society group, if you're in or near a major city, chances are that you have one. I would be willing to bet that you may be able to solicit tax-deductible donations of Live Rock, equipment, fish, corals, etc if you have an active and friendly group. I have found that in my local reef society there are always people with too many corals, fish conflicts, etc or are just getting out and you can get all kinds of stuff uber cheap.

2) I would strongly consider the ramification of harvesting livestock or anything else from the ocean, even with a permit. What I am referring to is that you never know what you're going to bring into your system from the ocean. There are contaminants that, from what I understand, tend to me concentrated on the shoreline. You also greatly increase the possibility of introducing unwanted pests into your systems. Some of these can be quite dangerous. I'm searching for the link on here to a Reef Central thread where a guy got a bunch of stuff from the beach, and one of the 'campers' was a type of copepod or something that burrows into your skin and causes a severe rash. Other things like certain snails and shrimp can cause problems. Just something to be aware of!

3) Test strips are notoriously inaccurate, and they also must be discarded if they are expired (especially if they are expired!). The best bang for your buck will be the API Master Test Kit, there are 2 versions for SW, a Reef Master and Saltwater Master. Get the SW Master at a minimum because you need to find out if you have any ammonia or nitrite right now - I wouldn't trust the dip strips. You also want to test your Alkalinity so you might want to get that test separately. You can wait on Calcium until you decide to go to a full blown reef, and unless you get a bigger tank with a lot of hard corals, good lights, and lots of flow, calcium probably won't be that big of a concern. But as I'm writing this, I realize you probably know this - I forgot about your large aquarium experience.

4) I would say that if you know - for sure - that you will be going to a much larger tank, then you might be able to get away with adding a small Blue Tang. However, you must exercise caution here, because a Blue Tang is a very calm, docile fish, and is susceptible to Head and Lateral Line Erosion (HLLE) when stressed, and putting one in a tank with aggressive damsels may not be the best choice. I think it would be a better idea to wait until you have the bigger tank, or better yet, wait until you have multiple tanks and make one an aggressive tank and save the Blue Tang for the community/friendly tank.

5) I would not bury the dead fish in the substrate. This was a serious error, IMO. I would locate the remains and remove it immediately. The fish that are in the system are providing a significant enough amount of ammonia to feed whatever bacterial colony is established, and this bacterial colony will size itself according to the bioload requirement. On this note, Biozyme and other like products are rarely effective, so while it may have provided a small amount of bacteria, it is more likely that it did not, and your tank is now in a cycling process, a mini-cycle at minimum. This causes stress on the fish and is likely a contributor to the the deaths experienced (on top of the bullying).

I would be interested to hear more about your experience working on major aquariums. Which aquariums and what was your job?

What size are the 18 tanks you have for the students?

Welcome to AA, you will find very patient and helpful people here. Again I commend you on bringing this into a classroom environment on such a constrained budget! Find local people to help contribute!

I find tons of stuff on craigslist.org. there are people that have had breeding operations in their houses, that are practically giving away lots of little tanks. I belong to a reef club, and we have many many resources, such as live rock or pumps, filters, that are just lying around. check where you live. They will also have lots of people who would love to help in any way.

cycles take time. everything about aquariums is patience. I don't know what time frame you have with your students, but things can be adapted. If you already have established live rock you can split that up between some tanks. If you have filters running, split the media.

you will want to do plenty of PWCs. Do you have a RO/DI filter? with a 50 gallon barrel on a dolly, you could quickly change a gallon or so in each tank.

for rocks, I would not use any from the backyard unless you know your geology. You get some limestone or high phosphate or silicate rock you will be overrun with algae. Same with play sand, high in silicates Hard rocks will not help, like granite. you wont have any porosity. I dont know what lava rocks for the grill are for composition, but they are shape wise what you would look for.

best wishes

Silica based play sand is fine. The silica is locked into a crystalline matrix and doesn't dissolve. If it did, the glass from you tank would raise silicate levels.

Didn't know about the lava rock. That might be useful to me since I'm dosing Iron in the reef w/the ATS, until I can increase the flow rate.

Good to know!! One of the tanks I rescued had taken some of the lava rock from their waterfall/goldfish pond and put it in their SW tank, and took some LR from the SW tank and put it in the pond because they liked the way it looked. Thankfully, I made the switch back when I fixed up the tank, not out of knowledge but I think out of instinct, and it turns out that instinct was pretty good I guess.

I would also suggest that you start contacting the large online retailers (Drs Foster and Smith, That Pet Place, Marine Depot, Big Al's, etc.) and manufacturers asking for a grant of FREE SUPPLIES to help with your project.

You may be helping them out, especially for products with an expiration date or old/obsolete stock. By donating to the school they can take a charitable contribution instead of a potential loss.

My cousin writes grant requests and it amaze me how much the government and corporations give to non-profits.

If your still looking for rock i have ordered from marcorocks.com a few times and he has pretty good prices on bulk base rock. I'm not sure what your plan for the student tanks are but if you wanted to get a head start on the cycle of the student tanks you can buy a big 55 gallon trash can and put the base rock in there. It will start cycling in the can and then you can use it for mixing/water changes after you are finished cycling.

Ok, here's a question I have after looking around. I've seen some posts about making your own base rocks/live rocks by mixing argonite sand and cement. If I were to make some of these rocks along with rock collected from a local beach and/or some bacteria starting aids would these rocks be useful for adding to my aquarium and/or my students aquariums? The reason I'm asking is because this might:

A. be a lot cheaper than purchasing live rock for all of these tanks
B. reduce the amount of rock we would need to collect locally
C. make a good project for my students

If I am understanding this correctly I could have my students make the base rocks for their tanks in class one week, clean them off and set them up in their tanks the next week, and then maybe start the curing process and begin cycling in the tank the third week?

Does this sound ok or am I missing something?

This sounds like a really good plan to me. Saves money, allows you to make rock which will host beneficial bacteria, and proper cycling of the tanks.

Ok, now I've got problems, I'll sum up as best I can.

The class tank still seemed to be doing well on monday, but it looked like the green chromis that I thought was being picked on by the striped guys was getting worse.

That afternoon while digging through drawers in the back storage room I found 10 to 15 pounds of rock that clearly used to be used in aquariums (I have no idea how many YEARS its been sitting in a drawer though). I set up a small tank with an old HOB filter and several bubblers and put the rock in along with the domino's body that I dug out of the other tank, hoping that I could add some live rock from my LFS over the weekend and then add everything to my tank in a couple of weeks.

Tuesday morning the green chromis died so I added him to the tank with the base rock. That afternoon I noticed that the striped damsels had now started picking on another one of the green chromis, but he seemed to be doing all right. Wednesday afternoon one of my students commented that the green chromis was acting funny, I checked and he clearly seemed to be struggling.

Since I've been concerned about my water chemistry without a proper testing kit I decided to do a partial water change which seemed to help for a while, but the second green chromis had died when I got in this morning and one of the striped damsels was also clearly not doing well. I ran to the petco near my school as soon as the day ended and got a testing kit (would have sooner, but paycheck didn't go in until today).

I tested the ammonia levels immediatly, they were at around 3ppm, clearly too high, I did another 20% water change to try and get them down, but unfortunately it wasn't in time for the striped damsel. After everything had settled down from the water change I went through and tested everything and the Nitrate and Nitrite are reading near zero. I'm not sure if this means I don't have ANY bacteria, or if I just don't have ENOUGH bacteria and need to add more surface area.

At this point I am planning on trying to do major tank renovations on Saturday. I was thinking of moving the fish along with their filter to an empty tank and pulling out all the gravel and decorations from my tank (there's not much to begin with so I doubt this would remove much in the way of bacteria). Then I was going to add in argonite sand, the base rock I've been working on in the other tank and about 5-10 pounds of live rock from my LFS, let everything settle down and then move the fish back in.

My biggest concern is that we'll be leaving for christmas break for the next two weeks and I'll only be able to get in to the school on Saturdays, Mondays and Wednesdays. I'll come in on those days, test the water and do PWC's as necessary, but is there anything else I can be doing?

you don't know anything about that rock that was in the storage room. it could be laden with copper, or worse.
this is no way to start a successful tank.
isn't there any way you can do like the others suggested and try for donations?

besides that, that rock should be in a tank with a heater and a powerhead for a few weeks before you even start testing for ammonia.

where are you located? what is your budget?

I think you need to set up a quarantine tank (10g) with bare bottom and one piece of rock or some kind of decor for the fish to hide, temperature match, and transfer all the fish to that tank (after acclimation, drip for 1 hour). Then let the other tank go through a proper cycle and so PWCs on the QT whenever the ammonia goes over 0.5ppm. A 20% PWC with 3ppm ammonia is not sufficient, and the fish will definitely suffer.

The rocks were a part of all of the equipment that was from the old aquatic science class so they were used in tanks previously. I'm working on establishing connections in my neighborhood, but that takes time. For now I'm more concerned with doing what I can with what I have and trying to fix what I can in the tank, again, not likely to be ideal. I'll put in the time and labor, but for now the equipment is going to be limited.

Back
Top Bottom