Advice on setting up a new tank?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

pitbull

Aquarium Advice Regular
Hello I have recently joined this forum because I am going to be getting new tropical fish, i havn't had much luck in the past with them and was wondering if you could offer advice to me and tell me all the sorts of things i should look out for and what sort of fish i should get. I have a 10 gallon tank with a filter, heater , themometer and lights.
Please could you give me advice on what I should do in order to keep my fish alive, thank you so much :grin:

Hiya pitbull, welcome to AA. before you think about stocking your tank, familiarize yourself with the fishless cycle, click on the links below and read the articles, it will prevent suffering, damage and the possible death of your fish so it's worth reading.

http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forums/f15/fishless-cycling-for-dummies-103339.html

Tips and tricks for your fastest fishless cycle!

if you have any questions please don't be afraid to ask, there is always somebody here to answer them for you. good luck!!.

Pete

Heyy, thanks for the links really helpful i will make sure I do that!
should I buy live or plastic plants for my tank ? which would be better? :/ :)

I would try live plants first, not everyone can grow them, but give them a try and if you can't get on with them go for plastic, or if you can afford them silk, they look pretty realistic. good luck, hope all goes well. don't forget, if you have any questions ask away there will always be someone here to answer them.

Pete

Hey and welcome to AA :)

Research the nitrogen cycle and fishless cycling. Once you have that done, pick some fish you think you might like for your tank, research them and their requirements and ask folks on the forum what they think about your picks. It is very easy to overstock a small tank like a 10 gal and only a few of the choices you see in your fish store are usually appropriate for a tank that size, so use caution. Live plans are definitely best, but research them first as well. Chain stores like petco often sell aquatic plants that aren't really aquatic and will rot and foul your water and are just money down the drain. Java fern and java moss are always a safe place to start as they are super easy to grow in most any light. Just ask us any questions you have along the way :)

Take your time to do the fishless cycle. While it's going, you can research the fish you are thinking of getting.

Always remember this with the questions, the only stupid question is the question not asked(I've asked my share).

Thanks for all the really helpful advice guys, I'm doing the cycle next week as I come back from my holiday then I have to also buy the testers next week so it's a bit of a delay haha :)

Just make sure you have a decent set of lights if you are going for live plants, you may lose alot without. Plus in that size tank small shoaling fish would be a nice thing.

Back
Top Bottom