Advice on stocking

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

frogtank

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Am i overstocked? Please help. I have three filters. This is a 20 Long tank fully planted

Attachments

• IMG_1709.png
    IMG_1709.png
    37.7 KB · Views: 18
Is this stocking something you already have or what you are planning?

It doesn't appear overstocked, but generally mixing frogs and fish isnt a good idea.

Frogs should be kept in their own tanks because if the fish get sick, any medication used to treat them will usually kill the frogs. Frogs will also eat small fish, shrimp and snails.

You need to get rid of the assassin snail or it will kill the nerites and mystery snail.

I would move the assassin snail and frogs out. Then add a few more neons and black neons so there are 10 of each species, then leave it at that. The platies will breed and before long your tank will be overcrowded.

If you have 3 filters on the tank, there might be too much water movement for the fish. Neons and black neons come from relatively calm water and don't like of need lots of water movement.
Can you post a 1 minute video of the fish tank so we can see how much water movement is in it?
You can upload videos to YouTube, then copy & paste the link here.

Thanks for this. I will move my frogs to a 10 gal. This is my current setup.

Thanks colin. I will move the frogs and assassin to my 10 gallon I need to set it up. I will use my cycled media. I haven’t had any problems with the assassin compatibility or frog compatibility but i don’t want to risk it. They’ve all been together for about 6 mo. I purposefully got all female platies so the breeding shouldn’t be a problem. I will get more tetras of each kind to make bigger schools. I have a HOB with a baffle, a sponge filter and an internal filter turned way down so i’m not too worried about the flow. If you have Tiktok you can see my tank at @emmajosecosystem If not i will post a video tonight. Thanks for all your help and advice

Just be aware that platys can hold sperm for up to a year, so they dont need to have a male with them to produce babies. They just need to have to been with a male at some time in the last 12 months. If you have had the fish for 6 months with no babies, you have probably got away with it as you would have expected to see babies by now, but its not guaranteed. Female platys have often mated before you buy them and can then produce several batches of babies over the next year. The only way to guarantee no babies is male only.

Back
Top Bottom