Advice on which new tank to buy

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mwitha

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hey all,

I'm planning on getting a new 60 Litre (13g) tank. Its about as big as I can fit and afford. I'm stuck on which one to go for though. I want one that's got the best filtration really. I've narrowed it down to these....

Tetra Aqauart
Charterhouse Aquatics: Tetra Aquart 60l Complete Aquarium Set

Elite 60
ELITE STYLE 60 GLASS AQUARIUM TROPICAL SET 60X30X35CM HIGH 60L

Jewel 600
JUWEL REKORD 600 AQUARIUM

My Plan is to do a fishless cycle and eventually aim at getting a couple of dwarf puffer fish. I've read all about them and understand their specific needs (snails etc).

Any advice would be appreciated. Thank you all

those prices are horrible, the internal filters are an eyesore, you should just get a tank, heater and a hang on filter, then you can put a simple background on the tank if you wish to hide the filter.

if you insist on those 3 however i would recommend the tetra aqua art, but the dvd, all that other junk just get tossed in the trash bin right after you open the box, so all your really getting is a tank, heater, and a cheap filter w/ a small light. as far as the water treatment it comes w/, that is very cheap and can be purchased sepperatly. at those prices though, geeze thats crazy.

£79.95 is converted to 125 US. i only paid 90 bucks for my 20 gallon tank w/ light, which i replaced, heater and filter i replaced, i have a saltwater set up but it was perfect for a freshwater setup w/out upgrades. i would suggest to continue to shop around, you also have to pick between if you want a glass or acrylic tank, and shape.

Thanks for the advice. I think I'll look into buying seperately. Things do seem a lot more expensive over here than in $ unfortunatley :(.

Thanks for the advice. I think I'll look into buying seperately. Things do seem a lot more expensive over here than in $ unfortunatley :(.
go check out craigs list......you could get a 55-90 gallon tank for that price. take your time looking though, some people will give up their whole set-ups for next to nothin in a money crunch. I looked for two weeks and got a 150 gallon acrylic tank with stand and canopy.....for an xbox360 and games.

well he said thats all he had space for, a large tank may be cheap but w/out the space for it, its not doable. for all i know he wants to set it on top of a toilet, or a kitchen window seal.

its a real shame how the UK charge more for these things, i would like to build my own tank, but as simple as it seems, i do not have exp w/ it, and id be stressed out everyday im not at home sitting in front of the tank waiting for the seals to break.

Yeah, I dont really have any room for a bigger tank. I already have a 35 Litre, but I wanted to give my current fish a bigger home.

And you eventually get used to the UK being a rip off! I'm actually just about to go down to my local aquarium shop to see what deals they have. Sometimes they're cheaper than the internet. Thanks again!

Yeah, I would suggest you buy things separately as well. In a typical kit, they skimp on one thing or another to keep prices low. (profits high?)

You can usu. get glass tanks cheaper than the acrylics. <And you can't find glass tanks on the net cause it is too fragile to ship.> Here, a generic 20 gal glass tank (80 l) can be had for $20-30 on sale. But of course UK prices will be much higher!

I would like to comment on the Juwel tank. This is basically an Eclipse. Advantage is that it is nice & sleek as everything is contained inside the hood. However, the filter is of necessity small, and it is very difficult to upgrade later without extensive modifications to the tank <cutting off bits & pieces of the frame, hoods, etc.>

i dont like elipse systems, i personally take care of my g/f's tank, i imagine most are similar, the filtration is horrible, usually consisting of water simply flowing over filter media and not through the filter media. on my salt water tank i have my over flow leading to filter media which it must pass downward through a cup shaped filter i made this way water NEEDS to pass through the filter weather it be the bottem or the sides in order to enter the sump, this method requires me to clean my filter twice a week as it is verry effective and becomes dirty quickly.

hang on tank filters are far better then filters built into the hood. even a canister filter will be a good investment, first off, it will provide great filtration and second if you upgrade the tank later you can still use the canister filter.

its understandable that a budget comes in place in this hobby but saving and getting good equiptment pays off.

Back
Top Bottom