advice please

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bjreall

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I need some advice. My daughters gave me a 46g bow tank for mothers day, which i'm planning to do a FOWLR. I have
bakpak2r
3 maxijet 1200 (1 for water changes)
My 1st question is: I have 60lbs of tidal substrance Meridian Oolitic
from dr f&s. Can I use this and how much do you recommend.
Betty

Use this calculator to figure out the # of lbs needed. I prefer deeper but you can go 2-3" easily. http://www.fantasyreef.com/flash/calculator.html

Looking at that sand, I'd suggest staying away from the more course stuff. Stuff like that and crushed coral versions have more nooks and crannies for waste to settle in and elevate nitrate levels after time. I'd go for the finer stuff, but it looks fine IMO.

WELCOME TO AA!!

Please do not cycle with live animals.

That looks like some nice sand. You can use it in SW. You can probably use the whole bag in the tank. I would shoot for 2-3 inches of sand.

I'm in Frederick, I could use a few "spots" as there is nothing here.
Thanks

I'm guessing you are about an hour away from me. There's and LFS (Roozen's) that's got some stock, decent corals, etc. 10 minutes from my home. Some decent LR there sometimes. There's a place in Glen Burnie (Sea Save) that does aquacultured, fresh, no curing needed live rock (tends to be chunky though), and fish, inverts, etc. Another place (pricey, forgot the name) about 4 minutes from there.

Lemme know sometime if ya wanna meet at any of'm. There's also a decent place in Randallstown (The Aquarium Center) that you can hand pick nice base/dry rock to add to the liverock.

You doing fish only or reef? BTW, I got a CPR Bak Pak HOB skimmer looking for a home. Some other stuff too. Gimme more about your setup plans, maybe I can help.

Good luck!

Lancaster, Pa has a place, called thatpetplace.com, very impressive store.

Back
Top Bottom