Sick guppies :( please help.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

heidigirl99

Aquarium Advice Regular
Hi all, I would appreciate any advice for these 4 sick guppies. They don’t deserve to die!

I’m not sure what they have, but I ordered 10 guppies from AquaHuna, who mailed them priority 2-day from USPS and they ended up taking 5 days to get here, so 3/10 were DOA. Obviously the remaining guppies were pretty stressed out, but they adapted to their new cycled 20 gallon tank well and were eating and happy for about a week. After that, I noticed one consistently at the top of the tank gasping for air... from that point, 3 others died quite fast. They did originally have the white stringy feces, too.

Anyway, I am trying to save the last four. To cover what they might be suffering from, I quarantined them in a 10 gallon Tupperware container and gave them one dose of the med trio recommended by aquarium co-op (Maracyn, Paracleanse, and Ick X).

This was Sunday. They are all still alive, although looking weak, and I noticed 2 had fin/tail rot so I just added another dose of Maracyn. Any other ideas?

Also, if they make it, I guess my main question is: what to do with their previous 20 gallon tank. Should I sterilize everything and start again, maybe with BioSpira? With the hope of adding them back to it once they are better?

I’ve never had this situation before, so any help would be appreciated. 63520190059__D7D8F2D0-C464-49DC-823A-041A87B76182.jpg

P.S. the 20 gallon tank has been set up since 8/2020 and was fully cycled last month. water parameters were all good (NH3 0, nitrite 0 nitrate 10) I use all Seachem products, so Prime to dechlorinate. Our tap water is soft, so early on, I added crushed coral to the tank, and it already had EcoComplete as substrate. 40 gallon Fluval filter and I also added another 20 gallon filter. I got the guppies ~3 weeks ago. Fed Hikari Fancy Guppy food every other day, sometimes Aqueon Pro Revitanew pellets. Original symptoms were stringy white/clear feces and hanging at the top for air, and now they seem to have tail and fin rot (parts of tail have rotted away) thanks.

Back
Top Bottom