African bio-type with Ctenopoma acutirostre (leopard bush-fish)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Omelet

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I have finally decided that I would like to start a African sort of tank. So far I know I am going to have these:

Around 12 congo tetra
1 Ctenopoma acutirostre(might keep two but territory issues)
1 African catfish of some sort.

I like this idea, it's not too often that someone does an African biotope that doesn't involve some sort of cichlid. Upside down catfish would probably be the easiest species to obtain for your setup.

I had forgotten about the upside-down cat! From what I read they seem to be active fish that school to a degree , that sounds nice.

I am not against a cichlid per-say ,but I don't care for Kribs and their are not that many other options for a peace african cichlid.

I would love some more suggestions!

There are actually a lot of options for calmer riverine Africans. Buffalo heads might be a decent option for this set up. They stick near the bottom of the tank, and I've heard they're pretty easy going, although I've never kept them myself, they've been on my list for a while

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

I'm typically more into CA cichlids but this congo biotope is one of my favorite videos on youtube. You don't realize how much is in there until you read the description. This might give you some ideas.

This tank even tempted me to scrap my new world tanks and try this

I'm typically more into CA cichlids but this congo biotope is one of my favorite videos on youtube. You don't realize how much is in there until you read the description. This might give you some ideas.

This tank even tempted me to scrap my new world tanks and try this

His info in the bottom was extremely useful for finding new species. I am thinking I might look into something like this:

12 congro tetra
2 leopard bushfish
6 upside catfish
6 of one of the tetra in the video or maybe just more congos.

That sounds a bit barren for a 75 ,but I don't know. I guess I will have to see how it goes.

Nannochromis transvestitus is another cool African riverine cichlid species. The females are the ones that show the most color, hence the species name. They're typically more laid back, and I believe they are in that tank in the video if I'm not mistaken

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Back
Top Bottom