African brown knife fish

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Mcgolg76

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Just bought an african brown knife fish for my 75 g community tank and have a few questions.

The employee at the lfs store said that they have trouble keeping them alive and said they are an advanced fish. My water parameters are very good and I am good about doing water changes.

What is best way to feed them. Only thing I have seen him eat so far is a sinking pellet and he swallowed it whole. Will he be ok with that ? These pellets expand when they get wet so not sure if that will hurt him.

Read they navigate my like some sort of sonar. He keeps bumping into my gouramis in a non aggressive way. Could that be a problem with his sonar ability.

Finally read they will eat small fish. Smallest fish in tank are harlequin rasboras and panda Cory's. rasboras prob will be safe cause they avoid the bottom of the tank. Could my Cory's be in danger?

Any other advice for this fish would be awesome

I have one in with my gouramis and angels, it eats tropical flake food and swims around without any issues with the other fish including a pleco and a eel. He is in compition with the pleco for favorite hiding places but they don't bother each other. My friend has a Black Knifefish without issues and I never had anyone from my pet stores say anything about trouble keeping them alive, them seemed to have trouble keeping them in stock though, it took me a month to find one.

I had a Black GK and it loved frozen bloodworms, could even hand feed him.

Black GKs are predators and will eat small fish and fish eyes so I'd say long term your panda is at risk as will your rasboras.

Browns do stay smaller though so you should be fine.

But yes, watch your nitrAte levels, won't take many missed water changes to have your brown ghost knife all white and deaded.

Back
Top Bottom