African Butterfly Fish Compatibility

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

AquariumFish

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hey Guys, hasn't been a while since I posted...

Recently I was thinking about adding a African Butterfly Fish to my established 55 gallon tank. I haven't had any extreme water parameter changes so I think everything is fine.

I have 2 late male angels who are only aggressive to each other... But I can't add a third because local stores don't sell them this size.... (~3-4" across).

I also have a large Opaline Gourami, 12 Giant danios, 4 Bristlenose Plecos, 1 Large Catfish ( don't know what type :huh: ), and 3 Kuhli Loaches...

But to run this tank I have 2 Bio-Wheel 350 Filters which filtrate a a lot! :cool:

Will an African Butterfly Fish be compatible???? My only worry is to much filtration...:ermm:

The Danios are about 2" long so I don't think the ABF will prey on them...

Thanks for all responses!!!:thanks:

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    253.5 KB · Views: 443
I would be worried, the fact that you have angles might put the idea of a butterfly fish out, just because they only play with each other doesn't mean that they will not play with new friends. The other fish that i would worry about is the Opaline Gourami because they play around at the top, and the danios might annoy him with how much and how fast they move.

I am sort of nervous if the Angels do bully the ABF. But I have noticed that they only bother there kind. The gourami usually hangs around with them without burnt bullied (pic attacked). My large catfish sometimes goes up to the top of the tank and sucks food up, and the Angels never touch him. But I am nervous about the giant danios. Although I have a school of twelve and haven't noticed them nipping at the smells fins it may be possible that they would bite at the fins of the ABF.

Also, another statement, when I got them, they used to swim near the top of the tank, but now they ussually swim in the middle or the bottom... I don't know if this is because of the Angels or not...

Thank you for the tip though, ;) :thanks:

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    205.5 KB · Views: 120
i think you will be fine, the abf would benifit from some top cover, but he would most likely be fine.

I would be concerned about the danios. The biggest reason would be food. If you drop live food in for the ABF, the danios will surely take it away before the ABF even has a chance at it. The ABF is slow and sure when he stalks his prey, depending on how hungry he is. Danios are piggies, and so very fast that the ABF wouldn't stand a chance. I suppose it could work, but you'd have to watch when you feed the ABF and keep the danios away until he has eaten. I don't think any of the others would be much of a problem, as far as feeding goes. I had one angel in with my ABF, and there was never any trouble.

Ya, if you do go with the ABF you should put in some cover for the guy to hide under so that he doesn't jump out of the aquarium. If this is an open top aquarium i would go with some water lettuce or water hyacinth, if you like the look of ground plants then go with some water lillys.

Thank you for all the replies,

I was hoping to get the ABF to eat freeze dried shrimp or mealworms which the danios do not eat..... I know he might be a picky eater but it is always worth a try... I got my Senegal bichir to eat shrimp pellets and freeze dried bloodworms in my other tank... And he is supposed to be picky too!!!:)

I would love to get some floating plants because of my fast filter output but I am worried that my plants near the bottom of the tank won't get much sunlight and algae will grow on the plants near the top....:nono: ?

Back
Top Bottom