African Butterfly Stopped Eating!?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ColemAnthony1

Aquarium Advice Activist
I just bought an ABF about 3 weeks ago and until about 3 days ago he's been eating great. I've been feeding em' mostly mealworms and a cricket here and there if I find one on my porch. He was eating great about 2 and a half to three mealworms a feeding, a whole cricket, and he'd even eat some flakes that are for my other fish. Now he's just suddenly stopped and won't touch a thing. It's making me worried cuz I bought em' 3 hours away and I'd hate for it to be all for nothing. How can I get the guy to eat? The food literally brushes against his face and he completely ignores it...
All of my other fish are eating like pigs. I've got several Angels, South American Cichlids, Featherfin Catfish, Corys, Odessa Barbs, Bloodfins, Loaches, African Leaf Fish, Whiptail Cat, Bichir... Only my African Butterly refuses to eat. My Bichir is pretty happy about my ABF's "fasting" because for every mealworm and cricket the ABF misses means that my Bichir gets to chow down on it instead!

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

The tanks 50 gallons. I don't have any water testing equipment. I have well water. It's most likely towards the softer side because I've got quite a bit of driftwood in there. I've got angels in there also who prefer softer water and they're thriving. I've got really nice filtration and very clean water. I have a Fluval 406, a Marineland Biowheel, and a UV sterilizer in there.

Is it possible there was some contaminant on the crickets for your porch? When I had lots of frogs I always raised my own but bought the original stock from cricket farms to avoid any contamination. I mean the cricket could have walked through mouse poison, ant poison who knows what.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I suppose it could be possible. Should the poison, if there is any, wear off eventually so that he will eat again?

Back
Top Bottom