african cichlid research

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I guess I saw 31" high and imagined the rock work tanking advantage of the height.

I wouldn't promote another forum by posting links to their threads with pics of different mbuna setups or post pics that are not mine..... I'll try and find examples of experienced keepers with tanks well stocked.

One example is a 4' bowfront tank with:
"Stock list:
5 x Acei
8 x Yellow Labs
10 x Red Zebra
10 x Cobalt Blues
20 x Demasoni "

It is done with white cobbles almost 1/2 way up the back of the tank with a little dip in the rock work in the middle of the tank. There is free swimming space at the front. It is done with black sand and a dark background. You hardly even realise there are over 50 fish in there.

Clearly it is a well filtered tank, just thinking that if you went over 30 fish it still wouldn't hurt the fish. And stocking choice would also play a factor. Salousi and labs are smaller species etc....

This makes for good reading regarding stocking types of fish.
The Mbuna Community Tank

I guess I saw 31" high and imagined the rock work tanking advantage of the height.

I wouldn't promote another forum by posting links to their threads with pics of different mbuna setups or post pics that are not mine..... I'll try and find examples of experienced keepers with tanks well stocked.

One example is a 4' bowfront tank with:
"Stock list:
5 x Acei
8 x Yellow Labs
10 x Red Zebra
10 x Cobalt Blues
20 x Demasoni "

It is done with white cobbles almost 1/2 way up the back of the tank with a little dip in the rock work in the middle of the tank. There is free swimming space at the front. It is done with black sand and a dark background. You hardly even realise there are over 50 fish in there.

Clearly it is a well filtered tank, just thinking that if you went over 30 fish it still wouldn't hurt the fish. And stocking choice would also play a factor. Salousi and labs are smaller species etc....

This makes for good reading regarding stocking types of fish.
The Mbuna Community Tank

I plan to have the rock work up to mid level, and some scattered along the front (just not as high. Also filtering isn't going to be an issue. The tank came with a monster ocean clear filter and the granddaddy of pumps. (our LFS was jealous) From what they said, one of them would easily filter both of our 115g tanks. (they both came with filters, so got 2 monsters. other 115g is going to be angelfish)

Thanks for the link, all this helps tremendously. I've also been checking out pics online of setups.

Personally, i would get about 3 extra of whatever you decide on, and hope you have no more than 3 males :) You'll want to get more than what you plan on keeping, as juvies are almost impossible to sex, and its hard and more expensive to buy adult males or females when they're big enough to sex. 40, imo, is a bit much, especially with your tank style... if it were longer, i'd agree... being more of a tall tank, i wouldnt get more than 30 juvies

30 juvies then slowly rehome what I need to. Added to my notes. (yeah, I have a notepad for when I got fish shopping)

So next question, DW? yea or nay?

Do you have a stock list yet?
If I could get a relaible supply these are some of the fish I'd like to stock in my 4". Food for thought maybe...

Afra Cobue
Afra Hara
Salousi
Acei Ngara

We have a good lfs but the stock varies so much so that you can't just go get what you want.

I'm still playing around with ideas, but I'm pretty sure I'm going with acei, zebras, labs. Those are readily available at my good LFS

Back
Top Bottom