African Cichlid--smallest tank without being inhumane?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Endless Ocean in My House

Aquarium Advice Regular
I'm thinking about getting a freshwater tank and an African Cichlid--but what's the minimal tank size?
Which size is best?
:thanks:

It all depends which African cichlids you are thinking about as there is a huge range.
You can do a tank as small as 20 Gallons for fish like kribensis or tanganyikan shell dwellers.
Then you'd move up to a 55 gallon tank for mbuna or peacocks.
My advice would be to do a little research online and see which ones you like best.
Hope this helps.

Hm-I don't quite have the room for a 20, I didn't think they required that big a tank.
What kind of pretty FW fish can I put in a 10 gal? I have a SW tank, but I'm pretty inexperienced with freshwater fish!

jetajockey said:
A 10g really limits your options but I'd look into different nano fish if you want a really active tank. Celestial pearl danios are pretty cool.

I agree!^ pearl danios are cool!

African's will not live well in a 10g.

I'd take Jeta's advice and do a nano such as CPD.

Endless Ocean in My House said:
Hm-I don't quite have the room for a 20, I didn't think they required that big a tank.
What kind of pretty FW fish can I put in a 10 gal? I have a SW tank, but I'm pretty inexperienced with freshwater fish!

I would go with community fish rather than African cichlids. You will have a lot more options.

I would go with community fish rather than African cichlids. You will have a lot more options.

Yep...ITA with the above poster! If you get some small community fish, you will have much more variety that can live happily in a 10 gal tank. :cool:

You could do 3 or 4 multies in a ten gallon. They are shell dwellers, and they like to dig so get sand for your substrate. They aren't very pretty fish, but once they get used to you they have the most personality IMO. The problem with a ten gallon is you have to be very careful with your water conditions as the small volume allows for rapid changes. Tanganyikans like Neolamprologus Multifasciatus like hard water with a ph of 8-9 so get some buffer salts from your LFS. You can do this, but I think you would be better off getting a bigger tank or just sticking to community fish.

Cichlidnick said:
You could do 3 or 4 multies in a ten gallon. They are shell dwellers, and they like to dig so get sand for your substrate. They aren't very pretty fish, but once they get used to you they have the most personality IMO. The problem with a ten gallon is you have to be very careful with your water conditions as the small volume allows for rapid changes. Tanganyikans like Neolamprologus Multifasciatus like hard water with a ph of 8-9 so get some buffer salts from your LFS. You can do this, but I think you would be better off getting a bigger tank or just sticking to community fish.

That tank is to small for multis, they need a 20+ IMO. Stick to nano fish like jeta suggested or shrimp.

What about some killifish they are small I believe, and are very colourful. ? Just a thought

Back
Top Bottom