African cichlid

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Roundtree

Aquarium Advice Activist
What is a common mixture of schooling african cichlids?

Firstly they don't typically school but they do have colonies. A good ratio to keep is one male to 3 or more females. It does depend on the fish but generally speaking that's the magic number.

It depends really, are we talking lake Victoria, lake Tanganyika or lake Malawi? If lake Malawi were you Referring to Mbuna, peacocks or Haps?! "African cichlid" is a very generic term, it all boils down to tank size and what you want to accomplish/ what kind of tank do you want to set up.

The only africans that I know of that kind of school is Cyprichromis. Other than that like KD said they just live in colonies.

I already have my tank set up. I was just wondering what was the most popular African set up. Regardless of which habitat. At stores like petsmart you see tanks displays that just say assorted African cichlids. At the local store he displays them separated by species. I was just wondering the most common picked for a community?

Let me reword the question. What are popular African cichlids, and which lake or region do you prefer?

Sorry about the miscommunication.

What size tank is it?! That will dictate what kind of fish you can add.

The common/popular would probably be a Lake Malawi Mbuna tank. When setting up an Mbuna tank you'll want fish of different families/ fish that don't look alike to help reduce hybridization. Also you'll want a 1 male to 4 female ratio and slightly overstock to help reduce agression.

My favorites would be a Lake Tanganyika mixed community or Lake Malawi Haplochromines.

There is no setup going on. I was just making conversation about African cichlids. No tank, no biotope, just asking opinions.

imo the peacocks and zebras are beautiful and get along "swimmingly" (lol) and they are my fav africans.
but i went to a new lfs and saw some parrots from CA... they were normally ugly, but one and only one stood out. so im getting a large tank so i can get it :)
have you seen that you like? x

I really like peacocks! But I saw this yellow-banded moorii and it was supppppppppppeeeer cool!

A fish that looks super cool is always good but you must consider if you can provide a suitable home for it. There is a huge variety of fish out there, some easy to keep and others not so much so you must take that into consideration. Also one must consider what they want put of a tank. Personally I don't like wild hyperactive fish so I opt out of Malawi cichlids. I prefer beauty and peace so I have frontosas and compressiceps. In my other tank I have a German blue rams and cardinal tetras which is very peaceful. If your looking for action you can always consider pirañha or something. There is alot of options out there but you must do your homework, ask us we will be more than happy to help.

Again, I'm not setting up an African Cichlid tank. I simply was asking and reworded my question, about African Cichlids. I am reading a book, and I started the AC chapter and simply wanted to know what you guys liked. Thank you for the advice.

guys chill! its an opinion thread!!!!
heres a new lead on the thread: what AC do you have, why do u like them?
im not hijacking, just helping the thread :L
xxxxx

peaceful..... good luck :L
u may want to change that to "non-murderous" for an actual answer.
kribensis are nice, as are bolivian rams. if you go species, labs are great and peacocks/feulleborni look awesome while not shredding eachother.
ha x

Yea that's the way it seems! Non-murderous is probably the best way anyone could have put that. African or American... It seems most Cichlid are mean.

Roundtree said:
Yea that's the way it seems! Non-murderous is probably the best way anyone could have put that. African or American... It seems most Cichlid are mean.

They may be mean, but they're awesome!!! I've had many types of fish over the years and African cichlids are BY FAR my favorites!!!!

Roundtree said:
Which is your favorite??

My favorite single fish is Skittles, my metriaclima greshakei. My favorite tank is definitely my frontosa tank! There are pics in my photo album ;-)

and on ur profile pic Lady Alia :p how big is it?

and Roundtree... what about u? what do u think? ur fav? whats ur tank like? details, pics :D x

Mouth-Brooder-Fanatic said:
and on ur profile pic Lady Alia :p how big is it?

and Roundtree... what about u? what do u think? ur fav? whats ur tank like? details, pics :D x

Wait...did you just...yes, yes you just stuck your tongue at me...what the heck?!?!?

lol Skittles is just shy of 5" long. He's prolly a little over a year old.

Back
Top Bottom