African dwarf frogs?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

GNAAAR

Aquarium Advice Regular
I want to add some dwarf frogs to my 10 gallon tank but I've heard that they sometimes drown in fish tanks due to the height of the tank. Would it be safe for them since it is only 10 gallons?

my friend has them in his 10 gal. fish tank...bought 2 more today

It's recommended to have them in a tank no taller than 11 or 12 inches. A ten gallon is just fine, as most standard ones are around 12 inches tall. If you're worried about them struggling to get up for air, providing plants and decor they can use to rest on or push off of might make it easier for them and give you peace of mind. :)

I've seen tanks out in my travels with ADF and theirs a floating piece of drift wood for them to climb up on , just be sure to have a tight top so they don't get out

They don't drown, they're fully aquatic. They are amphibians tho so they'll dry out easy on land I've never found it necessary. They will try to escape like any reptile/amphibian tho so lock em down!

Though they are fully aquatic, they need to breathe air from the surface. If the tank is too tall, they can get tired out and be unable to reach the surface to breathe.

They don't drown, they're fully aquatic. They are amphibians tho so they'll dry out easy on land I've never found it necessary. They will try to escape like any reptile/amphibian tho so lock em down!

no they do drown they come up to surface to grab air

If you have a lid and fill the tank up to the lid your frogs would die.

Why would I ever fill it up all the way? I personally would never fill an amphibian tank up all the way ever. It's a little startling to see adf being so readily available in the fish hobby because not every fish keeper new to the hobby has experience with amphibians but they should as it seems to me reptile people don't want anything to do with them anymore and strictly amphibian keepers are few n far between (sad). I'm coming back hard. It's now everyone with a tank's responsibility to rescue these animals! I always kept both fish and amphibians together and I never fill my tanks up all the way20161231_153503.jpg20170117_180457.jpg20170123_093324.jpg20170602_175448.jpg

I know, it's like his t.v.

But seriously I've had several dwarf frogs over the years and they all sat on the bottom waiting to greedily stuff food in their mouths. Voracious fun to watch and easy to breed. Tadpoles are great feeders too20170117_180445.jpg

Back
Top Bottom