African Leaf Fish Tank Build

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
My grandparents have a fancy store bought LED hood on their tank. I personally say the one they have is NOT worth it though it looks great. Not for supporting plant life anyway.

Why are you buying a NEW tank?

PS I totally stole your idea and have decided to turn my guppy tank into a leaf fish tank! SO excited. debating on add my cray to this tank now as well.
Thats fine but I want to see a build thread so I can steal your ideas lol
I am buying new because I really have nowhere to buy used. I refuse to use craigslist because of all the creeps. I live around some rough neighborhoods too so yea.
Ok so probably skip the marine land....

I have a marineland doublebright and like it, puts out way more light than the standard t8bulb that tank hoods Come with

*trying* lol I do have some hygrophilia difformis that's growing well under it! But my tank is 2 ft tall (39 gallon column) so I can't say for sure if it's because of lighting that some of plants aren't doing well, or other issues, like softened water (has some salt left in it, SG of 1.003)

Ah yea. Well I dont know. I am thinking about keeping stock lighting but change the bulb to 6700K. Then I add DIY moonlight.

LOL I hadn't really thought about doing a build thread... Though I might!

How about putting an ad on FB to reach out to family and friends? And checking in with a local club? Also if you are up to it; try a DIY stand.... Something I personally don't have the patience to do; but, seeing your hard work is always nice.

I think it should be noted that if you are going to be growing LOW LIGHT plants plenty of hobbyist have grown low light plants using stock t8s for many years etc.... It typically comes down to how efficient they are for you. I think that if you are growing low light plants and are patient I think you should be fine perhaps with a decently priced stock light.

EDIT: Build thread started! From guppy to FUNKY!

LOL I hadn't really thought about doing a build thread... Though I might!

How about putting an ad on FB to reach out to family and friends? And checking in with a local club? Also if you are up to it; try a DIY stand.... Something I personally don't have the patience to do; but, seeing your hard work is always nice.

I think it should be noted that if you are going to be growing LOW LIGHT plants plenty of hobbyist have grown low light plants using stock t8s for many years etc.... It typically comes down to how efficient they are for you. I think that if you are growing low light plants and are patient I think you should be fine perhaps with a decently priced stock light.

EDIT: Build thread started! From guppy to FUNKY!
I may try the FB add and building my own stand thanks!
I probably will stick with stock lighting and just add moolights.
I am going to go find your thread!

Ok so if I can convince my parents that a DIY stand is even stronger than a store bought one I am going to do that. I think I can make the stand at less than 50 bucks :) Now to decide, cinder block or all wood?

SUPRISE!!! My Dad said we are building a nice tank stand. Probably of wood. No more worries about that! Anybody have suggestions?

so glad you decided on building one! Woooooooooood!

Do some research on some designs and check out some of the furniture stores for some ideas. :)

Alright. I got some ideas so far. I am pretty much thinking bare bones lol But if I like the homemade stand then I may make another for my nano that is on an endtable.....leaning.... lol
I am doing my research on tanks. 27 cube or 26 bowfront.... I am gonna try for the 27. It comes with a Marineland LED light. If I can get it for 100 bucks I may go for it :)

Do yall think a 25 gallon tank would look well? Its a really great deal........ I am gonna look again at it and see if I like the shape. Meanwhile thoughts?

Sure but try to go as big as you can get! :) Would it help if we posted pictures of our tanks so you can start to get more ideas?

Hmmm.... Pictures of tanks NEVER hurts lol
I am going ask about the cube but I am kinda stuck still. Great deal on a 25, a 27 cube, or the ever beautiful 26 bow. AGHH!!!!

Interesting concept. I've always wanted to see an aquarium centered around African leaf fish. Can't wait to see how this'll turn out. Hmm. I know the big chain stores like Petsmart usually carry 26 bow aqueon starter kits. They come with everything needed! I was really thinking about getting one of those but ended up with a 46 bow instead! Haha. Following for sure!

Edit: Btw led marineland double bright LEDs (IME) are very insufficient at growing plants when it comes to my 46 gallon bow front. Although I'm sure java fern and moss with grow just fine, the lights could barely keep alive simple jungle Val... and remember that's DOUBLE bright! I think the 27 cube comes with only the single bright led. For shallower tanks however, that may be a different story... Also, although it does have a moonlight setting, it's on the same switch as the daylight setting (meaning it's manual). Which kinda stinks if you wanted to keep the moonlight on a timer at night. For that reason, I find myself not even using the dang moonlight anyways! :( However, they did recently make a newer version which has a separate switch and is supposed to grow plants better. Still skeptical on that one too. It does however produce a very nice shimmer effect with surface agitation though!

Ok I think you should go with the 26 bow front! And in a little bit I will post pictures of all my tanks :)

Ok the multiquote button isnt working lol
totallycoral: Thanks! I think I will avoid the LEDs based on what you have said and others. I am going to probably get the aqueon 26 bow anyway. The price of the 27 cube is ridiculous! I will just have to find a glass top........

I think the bowfront is a good idea. Personally I am not a huge fan of cube tanks because they tend to be in aesthetics, but lower on functionality.
If you want to do a moonlight set-up, I also suggest looking to reptile tank lights. I have seen more dual reptile light set-ups for cheaper, and they fit on the same tanks. That may vary be area, just a suggestion if you wanted to have one unit for all your lights.

Back
Top Bottom