African rope fish

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

abstract373

Aquarium Advice Freak
hey does any one know or have a
Rope Fish (Erpetoichthys calabaricus)
ive been tempted by this critter always wanted it but i keep reading the pros and cons on it. want some 1 whos been hands on or know some1...and how often do they escape from there tanks i have a few fish they say are prone to escape but never have tried to...long story short it would end up in a 75 gal tank with a few more fish like it like eels and kuhlii loachs weather loachs

I had one many years ago and liked it quite a bit.

So very interesting and great to watch in my planted 55.

I had the glass lids sealed up pretty good but it escaped often. I usually washed it off and dropped it back in. Eventually it got out when I wasn't home and by the time I got back it had dried out and died. It was covered with dust bunnies. It made it about 20 feet from the tank.

I never got another one because I felt bad and knew I'd not be able to keep another one sealed in .

It would be a great fish to keep in a tank with a low water level. It couldn't get out that way.

Wow that stinks how thigt fit was your lid?were there ovet sized holes or are they like mice and squeeze there the smallest cracks

He (or she, I have no idea) shoved his way out. Usually right in front of the filter outflow pipe.

I clear taped the whole thing as best as I could and he'd literally shove and shove until he made a small space by a cord or edge and then slither through.

Imagine a snake with those smooth directional scales, covered in slime and being wet. Very slick and slippery and could get through the tiniest spaces when it wanted.

It happened most at night. You'd hear a bit of noise and then KERSLOP, he'd hit the concrete floor.

I've got three in my tank now, be aware that they get very big. I've had mine for about 8 months now and they're already at least 8 inches long I'd say. I had another one before them but he died for some reason. I've never had any of them try to jump, but they love swimming up to the surface and grazing the air. Also sometimes they'll swim behind my filter intake and output tubes and rest on the suction cups. They look like they're playing dead, its pretty cute lol. They're best friends with my discus too. Lots of personality, I love love love them.

Im not to worried about size gives me an excuse to upgrade again i have a 10 inch tire track eel now and a10 inch Cuvier Bichir and a 6 inch peacock eel pluss 2 9 inch weather loachs ...i like the snake type of fish....i can get them for $20 bucks think im going to go for it

Max size is 14-15.5 inches according to my Baensch book (Vol 1). And it's not a thick 15 inches like an Oscar or anything.

Have fun, post pics on this thread when you get it!

I've never had the pleasure of owning a Ropefish, but I have owned Polypterus. Out of the 6 or so Bichirs I have kept, 2 died from escaping my tank. But those were my bigger size Bichirs who probably were not happy with the room I have them :(

Luckily for you, Ropefish are actually very sociable fish who enjoy, almost prefer, to have more Ropefish with them. Unlike Bichirs, who get more territorial. I would worry about your Kuhlii Loaches though, they could become a snack. At least they would be for any Bichir that could get their hands on them :)

Happy Keeping!

Yeah, I've read that they are little social creatures. They also make Ropfish piles? Have you witnessed this (perhaps I shouldn't hijack this thread).

Well it hasnt yet they go on the hunt together eating shrimp pellets and frozen foods.. But he gets his fill with worms and small fishes plus ghost shrimp

ok today i got my tank a rope fish its about 12 inches long and pencil thick...ive noticed it is very odd swimmer it tends to roll around and just sink all of a sudden but it prowls threw the sand with snake like movements....its calm enough it lets me touch it with out darting away.....

so today i added 2 more rope fish to the tank to give some company to the 1 i got a while back they hit it off right away and are making knots in the corners......................

My ropefish is awesome:) luckily he has never escaped (knock on wood) actually I rarely see him anywhere near the top of the tank. He has a huge mouth but is completely peaceful I have a polka dot loach that snuggles with him:)

what does your rope fish feed on? mine get live ghost shrimp guppy fry and black worms..frozen krill blood worms and so on

Back
Top Bottom