Africans hiding/startled

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Marconis

Aquarium Advice Addict
For the past week, whenever I walk in my room by the tank all of my Africans shoot into the rocks. They never used to do this. Whenever I look at my tank, at least more than half the time I cannot see my fish, because they are all hiding. I tested my parameters, and all is well. Why are they doing this? My fish have always been out and about.

One of my labs is holding, and has been for quite some time now...if that has anything to do with it.

I don't think that has anything to do with it. Could something have happened recently to scare or startle the fish? Got cats?

Hmmm something must have spooked them all the same. Try keeping the lights out a couple of extra hours a day and see if that helps calm them.

1. Check your water parameters. Hiding fish is normally an indication that something isn't right (holding females excluded)

2. If there isn't any traffic around the tank on a regular basis, the fish will get spooked when someone walks by. Are they hiding when someone approaches the tank or are they always in hiding?

3. What are your stocking levels like? Too few fish can also cause them to be spooked.

Back
Top Bottom