Aggressive convict dad

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

GwenS

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Good morning! I picked up a pair of convicts last week, along with their fry. I put them in a 29g tank all by themselves. It seems that in transit from the store to my tank something happened and now the male won't let the female anywhere near the fry and is chasing her mercilessly whenever he sees her. She has hiding places. I was wondering if I removed the fry would he settle down and maybe leave her be? I had wanted to put the fry in a 10g to grow them out a bit, but when I went to set it up I found my heater broken. I've ordered a couple new heaters but they won't be here for a couple days. I also thought of moving the adults but none of my tanks are appropriate for them.

So my 2 questions are
1. Why won't the male allow the female near her fry? and
2. Do I remove the fry and hope they get along?

Thank you

Good morning! I picked up a pair of convicts last week, along with their fry. I put them in a 29g tank all by themselves. It seems that in transit from the store to my tank something happened and now the male won't let the female anywhere near the fry and is chasing her mercilessly whenever he sees her. She has hiding places. I was wondering if I removed the fry would he settle down and maybe leave her be? I had wanted to put the fry in a 10g to grow them out a bit, but when I went to set it up I found my heater broken. I've ordered a couple new heaters but they won't be here for a couple days. I also thought of moving the adults but none of my tanks are appropriate for them.

So my 2 questions are
1. Why won't the male allow the female near her fry? and
2. Do I remove the fry and hope they get along?

Thank you
I am going through the same thing. My pair took care of the eggs together then dad moved the fry and has turned on the mom.
I removed the fry. Rearranged the tank and he is still chasing her. I also tried separating them for a few days and cutting back their feedings. That didn't work either. I know have the fry in a 10 gallon and a pair that don't get along in a 30 gallon.

Back
Top Bottom